Re: [atlas_craftsman] Lathe speeds

  • TCHare@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 31, 2008
      In a message dated 1/31/2008 10:10:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      stevemayall@... writes:

      It may not be an economic use of your time for one unit, but it could have
      far reaching impacts in third world countries. Go for it and keep me at least
      informed, in case nobody else cares.
      Regards
      Tom

    • Steve Mayall
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 5, 2008
        After much messing about, I bought an old tacho off eBay. It's a Starret
        tacho quite like this one:

        http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Mechanics/Tachometer/Tachometer.htm

        You reset it and pop the end in your spinning chuck. Time it for a minute
        and the see how many revs it has counted. The scale on the outside counts
        revs (1-100) and the inside scale clicks over every 100 revs.

        I have some info for my Halifax 524 if that's any use to anyone:

        I didn't change motor drive pulleys right now as it's too much hassle, but
        with the motor connected to the smaller pully and Pully 1 being the largest
        drive pully (top left) just above/behind the headstock the speeds in RPM
        were:

        Backgear - 85

        I hope this info is useful to someone.

        Cheers