Atlas10 QC on Craftsman 12

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
      Gentlemen, I recently acquired an Atlas 10 with a QC gearbox.
      Unfortunately, it has a damaged bed. I also got a pristine Craftsman-
      Atlas 12x36 with no gear train at all. So, has anyone tried to put an
      Atlas 10 gearbox on a Craftsman 12? It looks to me that I will have to
      Drill and tap the end of the Craftsman bed, drill mounting holes for the
      box on the rails, and possibly grind off the tumbler mounting boss on
      the Craftsman headstock. I am also wandering if the gear train from the
      10 will accommodate the additional 1-inch of center height of the
      Craftsman 12. If not, I could put the 10-inch parts on the 12-inch
      Craftsman bed, but I thought it would be nice to have the bigger swing.
      Any help, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks, Mike

    • Brett Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
        It seems to me there are more of the 12" QC Craftsman lathes out there
        than the QC Atlas lathes. I think you'd be able to sell the QC and
        related parts from the Atlas for cash needed to source the parts to
        complete the 12", or buy another complete machine.

        I have a 12" QC Craftsman and a change gear 10" Atlas. There are enough
        differences between the two that swapping these part from one to the
        other wouldn't be fun. I think the simplest way to do it would be to use
        the 12" bed and move all the 10" parts onto it. Other than turning a
        large face plate, flywheel or other dimensionally large but not heavy
        part, I don't think the loss of 1" of spindle height matters.

        Mike wrote:

        > Gentlemen, I recently acquired an Atlas 10 with a QC gearbox.
        > Unfortunately, it has a damaged bed. I also got a pristine Craftsman-
        > Atlas 12x36 with no gear train at all. So, has anyone tried to put an
        > Atlas 10 gearbox on a Craftsman 12? It looks to me that I will have to
        > Drill and tap the end of the Craftsman bed, drill mounting holes for the
        > box on the rails, and possibly grind off the tumbler mounting boss on
        > the Craftsman headstock. I am also wandering if the gear train from the
        > 10 will accommodate the additional 1-inch of center height of the
        > Craftsman 12. If not, I could put the 10-inch parts on the 12-inch
        > Craftsman bed, but I thought it would be nice to have the bigger swing.
        > Any help, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks, Mike

        Brett Jones
        brett@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
          Mike wrote:
          > Gentlemen, I recently acquired an Atlas 10 with a QC gearbox.
          > Unfortunately, it has a damaged bed. I also got a pristine Craftsman-
          > Atlas 12x36 with no gear train at all. So, has anyone tried to put an
          > Atlas 10 gearbox on a Craftsman 12?
          I would sell the QC on eBay and use the proceeds to buy the
          right QC box. I think that would be better than the amount of
          hacking that would be required, otherwise.