12" Craftsman model 101.*

  • ahz
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
      Is the Craftman 12" model 101.* an Atlas lathe? I am looking to get my
      first lathe. Trying not to buy junk. What's the board say about this lathe?
    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
        Yes, the 101 is Sears number code for Atlas tools. Craftsman is (or was)
        Sears name for their higher quality tools.
        There was another six inch lathe that Sears sold at one time that did not
        have the 101 in the part number and that was a much lighter lathe with a half
        inch spindle (usually bent when sold on Ebay)

      • stormcrow_40291
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
          > There was another six inch lathe that Sears sold at one time that
          did not
          > have the 101 in the part number and that was a much lighter lathe
          with a half
          > inch spindle (usually bent when sold on Ebay)

          That would be the 109.* series. These lathes are made by Dunlap or
          Dunlop, don't recall which.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
            stormcrow_40291 wrote:

            >>There was another six inch lathe that Sears sold at one time that
            >
            > did not
            >
            >>have the 101 in the part number and that was a much lighter lathe
            >
            > with a half
            >
            >>inch spindle (usually bent when sold on Ebay)
            >>

            > That would be the 109.* series. These lathes are made by Dunlap or
            > Dunlop, don't recall which.
            No, they were made by AA Products, with no successor, they just
            went totally out of business. Dunlap was the Sears brand they
            were sold under in Canada, I think.

            Tony's lathe page has more info, but I can't quite figure it out
            from there, either. http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html

            Jon
          • David L. Foreman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
              >>>There was another six inch lathe that Sears
              >>>sold at one time that
              >>
              >> did not
              >>
              >>>have the 101 in the part number and that was a
              >>>much lighter lathe
              >>
              >> with a half
              >>
              >>>inch spindle (usually bent when sold on Ebay)
              >>>

              >> That would be the 109.* series. These lathes
              >> are made by Dunlap or
              >> Dunlop, don't recall which.
              > No, they were made by AA Products, with no
              > successor, they just
              > went totally out of business. Dunlap was the
              > Sears brand they
              > were sold under in Canada, I think.

              Craftsman was the top line of tools etc. Dunlap
              was a lesser quality line.

              Kind of like the old best, better and good or what
              ever the terms were.

              Dave