RE: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in files

  • Anthony Hovis
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
      I checked it again and it is indeed a TH 48 directly from the tag at the
      beds end.
      Also, you are right about the 6 digit serial, I just left off the last zero,
      it is six digit. Sorry about that!
      I just noticed that this is listed in the 1937 Atlas catalog as order number
      1048 with an effective length of 30� between center.
      $150 certainly is a steal I think for one in just about any condition,
      that�s almost getting it for scrap price, very good indeed.

      Ton

      >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
      >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in files
      >Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:23:55 -0000
      >
      >The serial number / birthday database I've been collecting for the
      >past few months is posted in the files (Date Database and Spreadsheets):
      >
      >There are two version - pdf and html.
      >
      >The data is sorted by Make, Model#, and serial number. There are
      >several other columns including description, date reference (where the
      >database entry came from or where the date info came from),
      >owner/yahoo ID, bearing dates, and notes.
      >
      >As you can see, it's still a little sparse, but beginning to be
      >useful. There are a few "pretty sure" dates. I'm hoping this will
      >spark others to contribute any info they have on their machines.
      >
      >Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Additional dates and
      >serial numbers are even more welcomed!
      >
      >...gm

      Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
      http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
        dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
        number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.

        Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
        database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
        42s. And great to have a reliable date.

        I'll try to post updated database tonight.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
          Glenn wrote:
          > dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
          > number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
          >
          > Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
          > database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
          > 42s. And great to have a reliable date.
          Yes, the 48" bed was a special item. The 42 and 54" beds were
          the standard lengths, as they gave approximately 24 and 36"
          between centers.

          Jon
        • Anthony Hovis
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
            I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
            supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in what I
            had on hand but it�s just 2-conductor wire so if this should be grounded
            I�ll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
            By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is �948�.
            Thanks for the help

            Ton

            >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
            >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database posted in
            >files
            >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:22:12 -0000
            >
            >dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
            >number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
            >
            >Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
            >database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
            >42s. And great to have a reliable date.
            >
            >I'll try to post updated database tonight.
            >

            >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"
            ><anthonyhovis@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I checked it again and it is indeed a TH 48 directly from the tag at
            >the
            > > beds end.
            > > Also, you are right about the 6 digit serial, I just left off the
            >last zero,
            > > it is six digit. Sorry about that!
            > > I just noticed that this is listed in the 1937 Atlas catalog as
            >order number
            > > 1048 with an effective length of 30" between center.
            > > $150 certainly is a steal I think for one in just about any condition,
            > > that's almost getting it for scrap price, very good indeed.
            > >
            > > Ton
            > >
            > > >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
            > > >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
            > > >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in
            >files
            > > >Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:23:55 -0000
            > > >
            > > >The serial number / birthday database I've been collecting for the
            > > >past few months is posted in the files (Date Database and
            >Spreadsheets):

            > > >There are two version - pdf and html.
            > > >
            > > >The data is sorted by Make, Model#, and serial number. There are
            > > >several other columns including description, date reference (where the
            > > >database entry came from or where the date info came from),
            > > >owner/yahoo ID, bearing dates, and notes.
            > > >
            > > >As you can see, it's still a little sparse, but beginning to be
            > > >useful. There are a few "pretty sure" dates. I'm hoping this will
            > > >spark others to contribute any info they have on their machines.
            > > >
            > > >Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Additional dates and
            > > >serial numbers are even more welcomed!
            > > >
            > > >...gm

            > > Test your celebrity IQ. Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
            > >
            >http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

            Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
          • Anthony Hovis
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
              I must say that is interesting
              I guess you never know what you�re going to run across.

              Ton

              >From: Jon Elson <elson@...>
              >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database posted in
              >files
              >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:18:35 -0500
              >
              >Glenn wrote:
              > > dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
              > > number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
              > > database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
              > > 42s. And great to have a reliable date.
              >Yes, the 48" bed was a special item. The 42 and 54" beds were
              >the standard lengths, as they gave approximately 24 and 36"
              >between centers.
              >
              >Jon

              Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
              Caf�. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1
            • Glenn
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                Yes, when re-wiring you should add a ground wire; To provide its
                measure of safety, the ground wire should be attached to the motor
                chassis, metal electrical box at the switch, body of the machine, and
                to a grounded plug and outlet.

                By grounding everything metal, you provide a return path should the
                either of the current carrying conductors come loose or come in
                contact with anything metal at any point along the way. Basically
                alleviates the risk of electrocution if wiring comes loose or
                insulator fails which can happen in old motors and old wiring.

                <anthonyhovis@...> wrote:

                > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
                > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in
                what I
                > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                grounded
                > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is "948".
                > Thanks for the help
                >
                > Ton
                >

                > >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
                > >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database posted in
                > >files
                > >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:22:12 -0000
                > >
                > >dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
                > >number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
                > >
                > >Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
                > >database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
                > >42s. And great to have a reliable date.
                > >
                > >I'll try to post updated database tonight.
                > >

                > >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"
                > ><anthonyhovis@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I checked it again and it is indeed a TH 48 directly from the tag at
                > >the
                > > > beds end.
                > > > Also, you are right about the 6 digit serial, I just left off the
                > >last zero,
                > > > it is six digit. Sorry about that!
                > > > I just noticed that this is listed in the 1937 Atlas catalog as
                > >order number
                > > > 1048 with an effective length of 30" between center.
                > > > $150 certainly is a steal I think for one in just about any
                condition,
                > > > that's almost getting it for scrap price, very good indeed.
                > > >
                > > > Ton

                > >files

                > >Spreadsheets):

                > > > Test your celebrity IQ. Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great
                prizes!

                >http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

                > Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft® Office
                Live!
                > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

              • Richard Schaal
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                  I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it on a GFI. Mine
                  is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls for GFI
                  protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. - With all the
                  expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when it comes to
                  wiring.

                  Take a step toward safety!

                  - Richard

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/
                • uhmgawa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                    Anthony Hovis wrote:
                    > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
                    > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in what I
                    > had on hand but it’s just 2-conductor wire so if this should be grounded
                    > I’ll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                    > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is “948”.
                    > Thanks for the help

                    As others have suggested you'd be best to ground all discrete
                    parts of the lathe to which electrical components mount. Don't
                    rely on electrical conduction by bearings or other moving
                    joints to accomplish this task. Eg: if there is a switch in the
                    head, ground the head at the switch in addition to grounding
                    the motor frame. Similarly if you have an outboard reversing
                    switch.

                    Personally while grounding is important it is arguably more
                    important to get that 50+ year old wiring the hell out of
                    there. Insulation decomposition along with generally less
                    stringent safety practices make that wiring a candidate for
                    the trash can. Moreover any "enhancements" made by previous
                    owners enjoying less than UL accepted methods really needs
                    to go.

                    I only wish I took a picture of the NEC haunted house I
                    had on my hands before cleaning up that mess. Truly
                    impressive complete with exposed and taped joints singing in
                    the breeze a few inches behind the head and a motor starter
                    winding of an otherwise non-reversible motor mined out of it
                    headed to an unmounted reversing switch via ungrounded conduit.

                    --
                    uhmgawa@...
                  • Glenn
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                      I wouldn't assume a GFCI would completely protect you if used on an
                      ungrounded circuit. GFCIs trip on an imbalance in the current in the
                      two legs (hot & common, black & white) IIRC something like 2 mA or 20
                      mA. You could still be shocked and I believe could still be
                      electrocuted if you are completing either of the legs and are
                      yourself, isolated from ground or any other path for the current to
                      take - an unlikely condition to be sure but not impossible. It
                      doesn't sound like much current, but under the right (or rather
                      wrong!) circumstances, could still cause harm especially around
                      machinery.

                      If a ground is there, loose wires or failed insulation "leaks" will
                      likely flow via the ground wire and trip the GFCI With no ground, it
                      would flow through you to ground, quickly tripping the GFCI, but
                      possible not before causing you to make an involutary movement - a
                      risk around machines.

                      Ground it AND use GFCIs if they are called for by your local code.
                      Better safe than sorry.

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal
                      <rschaal_95135@...> wrote:

                      > I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it on a
                      GFI. Mine
                      > is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls for GFI
                      > protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. - With
                      all the
                      > expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when it
                      comes to
                      > wiring.
                      >
                      > Take a step toward safety!
                      >
                      > - Richard
                      >
                      > --- Anthony Hovis <anthonyhovis@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if
                      these are
                      > > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put
                      in what I
                      > > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                      grounded
                      > > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                      > > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is "948".
                      > > Thanks for the help
                      > >
                      > > Ton
                      > >

                      > > >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
                      > > >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                      > > >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database
                      posted in
                      > > >files
                      > > >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:22:12 -0000
                      > > >
                      > > >dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
                      > > >number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
                      > > >
                      > > >Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
                      > > >database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
                      > > >42s. And great to have a reliable date.
                      > > >
                      > > >I'll try to post updated database tonight.
                      > > >

                      > > >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"

                      > > >the
                      > > >last zero,
                      > > >order number

                      > > >files

                      > > >Spreadsheets):

                      >http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

                      > > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
                      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
                      > >
                      > > To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
                      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      for the edge of your seat?
                      > http://tv.yahoo.com/

                    • jtiggr
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                        Always ground, certainly the motor.
                        And if you have them: the light, the lube oil pump/motor, adjustable
                        speed drive.
                        If the frame/shell of any of the above also are in contact with the
                        metal parts of the lathe (unless heavily painted), then the lathe is
                        mostly grounded too (but then I don't really like a daisy-chain
                        ground system).

                        I'm running the original 1950's Atlas 120V 1Phase motor. One of the
                        first things done when cleaning the whole mess was to remove the old,
                        worn and bad athletic-taped parts. Wiring to the motor was replaced
                        with new cable/wire (the usual black stuff (type SO or SJ) you see
                        in the hardware store, 3 conductor (black-white-green) and 12
                        gauge). The black & whites went to the original terminal posts, and
                        the green wire received a crimp-on ring lug which was quickly secured
                        to the inside of the cast terminal box with a machine screw (making
                        sure that there was intimate and assured bonding).

                        For $30, I bought a nifty industrial type start-stop switch box from
                        Sears Parts. It was meant for a large, top-of-the-line table saw,
                        but it has a great on button, and a very large red paddle for OFF.
                        Easy to find, no accuracy needed: give it a slap with any body part
                        or accurately thrown chunk of iron, and it turns off instantly.

                        Another recommendation: you can't have enough power outlets in the
                        shop. Run the lathe (and other power tools) off of a separate
                        breaker from your shop lights, and have at least two shop lights on
                        separate breakers. Seems obvious when mentioned, but when the light
                        went out, and the table saw was still runing, it soon made a believer
                        out of me.

                        Good luck.

                        jtiggr

                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@...> wrote:

                        > I wouldn't assume a GFCI would completely protect you if used on an
                        > ungrounded circuit. GFCIs trip on an imbalance in the current in
                        the
                        > two legs (hot & common, black & white) IIRC something like 2 mA or
                        20
                        > mA. You could still be shocked and I believe could still be
                        > electrocuted if you are completing either of the legs and are
                        > yourself, isolated from ground or any other path for the current to
                        > take - an unlikely condition to be sure but not impossible. It
                        > doesn't sound like much current, but under the right (or rather
                        > wrong!) circumstances, could still cause harm especially around
                        > machinery.
                        >
                        > If a ground is there, loose wires or failed insulation "leaks" will
                        > likely flow via the ground wire and trip the GFCI With no ground,
                        it
                        > would flow through you to ground, quickly tripping the GFCI, but
                        > possible not before causing you to make an involutary movement - a
                        > risk around machines.
                        >
                        > Ground it AND use GFCIs if they are called for by your local code.
                        > Better safe than sorry.
                        >
                        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal
                        > <rschaal_95135@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it
                        on a
                        > GFI. Mine
                        > > is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls
                        for GFI
                        > > protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. -
                        With
                        > all the
                        > > expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when
                        it
                        > comes to
                        > > wiring.
                        > >
                        > > Take a step toward safety!
                        > >
                        > > - Richard
                        > >
                        > > --- Anthony Hovis <anthonyhovis@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if
                        > these are
                        > > > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just
                        put
                        > in what I
                        > > > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                        > grounded
                        > > > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                        > > > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it
                        is "948".
                        > > > Thanks for the help
                        > > >
                        > > > Ton

                        > posted in

                        > tag at
                        > condition,

                        > posted in

                        > for the

                        20Database%20and%20Spreadsheets/

                        ______________Ready
                        > for the edge of your seat?
                        > > Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.
                        > > http://tv.yahoo.com/

                      • Anthony Hovis
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                          Many thanks to everyone for all the very informative responses
                          By the sounds of things I guess I had better get some other wire in it that
                          has a ground.
                          Another reason I didn�t (other than I didn�t have any) was because the
                          wiring I took out didn�t have the ground either but it certainly didn�t look
                          to be a �factory� wiring job.
                          I really can�t say if GFI�s are code here or not but I guess I better add
                          one of those to and make sure none of the �juice� is running through any
                          bearings or shafts and such.
                          When I cleaned up the lathe I had considered taking the end�s off of the
                          motor and cleaning that to but I decided not to, not yet anyway as it is
                          very dirty and dusty inside. Hopefully before the motor starts overheating
                          from not having enough airflow I�ll get it cleaned.
                          �Jtigger� mentioned outlets; I have the lathe sitting right next to the
                          breaker box so it�s on its own outlet. Having one those large switches
                          sounds like a good idea, it would make it quicker to turn off if something
                          ever did happen.
                          Thanks again for all great info and good ideas
                          I guess have some more wiring to do.

                          Ton