RE: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in files

  • Anthony Hovis
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2007
      Some info on mine to add

      Model # TH 48
      Serial # 04808
      There is a number on the inside of the bed to it's 948
      When I had it apart to change the belt and to clean and paint it I found the
      dates on my bearings to, which now I�m glad I thought to write down.
      One had 1 �2 � 1942
      The other had 12 � 12 � 1942

      A friend told me about this being for sale last winter and although it was
      very greasy, after a couple of good cleanings with the pressure washer (and
      engine cleaner) and lots of scraping and such, mechanically I was surprised
      at how good of condition its in. By the way I paid $300 for it. There was
      some tooling with it but not much. It has the 3-jaw chuck. It also has the
      original Atlas wood stand that I saw pictured in one of their catalogs; it
      has one very large drawer and one large drop-down cubby hole like and a very
      thick top on it.

      Ton

      >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
      >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in files
      >Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:23:55 -0000
      >
      >The serial number / birthday database I've been collecting for the
      >past few months is posted in the files (Date Database and Spreadsheets):
      >
      >There are two version - pdf and html.
      >
      >The data is sorted by Make, Model#, and serial number. There are
      >several other columns including description, date reference (where the
      >database entry came from or where the date info came from),
      >owner/yahoo ID, bearing dates, and notes.
      >
      >As you can see, it's still a little sparse, but beginning to be
      >useful. There are a few "pretty sure" dates. I'm hoping this will
      >spark others to contribute any info they have on their machines.
      >
      >Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Additional dates and
      >serial numbers are even more welcomed!
      >
      >...gm

      Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
    • Anthony Hovis
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
        I checked it again and it is indeed a TH 48 directly from the tag at the
        beds end.
        Also, you are right about the 6 digit serial, I just left off the last zero,
        it is six digit. Sorry about that!
        I just noticed that this is listed in the 1937 Atlas catalog as order number
        1048 with an effective length of 30� between center.
        $150 certainly is a steal I think for one in just about any condition,
        that�s almost getting it for scrap price, very good indeed.

        Ton

        >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
        >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Serial Number - Date database posted in files
        >Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:23:55 -0000
        >
        >The serial number / birthday database I've been collecting for the
        >past few months is posted in the files (Date Database and Spreadsheets):
        >
        >There are two version - pdf and html.
        >
        >The data is sorted by Make, Model#, and serial number. There are
        >several other columns including description, date reference (where the
        >database entry came from or where the date info came from),
        >owner/yahoo ID, bearing dates, and notes.
        >
        >As you can see, it's still a little sparse, but beginning to be
        >useful. There are a few "pretty sure" dates. I'm hoping this will
        >spark others to contribute any info they have on their machines.
        >
        >Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Additional dates and
        >serial numbers are even more welcomed!
        >
        >...gm

        Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
        http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
      • Glenn
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
          dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
          number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.

          Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
          database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
          42s. And great to have a reliable date.

          I'll try to post updated database tonight.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
            Glenn wrote:
            > dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
            > number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
            >
            > Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
            > database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
            > 42s. And great to have a reliable date.
            Yes, the 48" bed was a special item. The 42 and 54" beds were
            the standard lengths, as they gave approximately 24 and 36"
            between centers.

            Jon
          • Anthony Hovis
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
              I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
              supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in what I
              had on hand but it�s just 2-conductor wire so if this should be grounded
              I�ll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
              By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is �948�.
              Thanks for the help

              Ton

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
                I must say that is interesting
                I guess you never know what you�re going to run across.

                Ton

                >From: Jon Elson <elson@...>
                >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database posted in
                >files
                >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:18:35 -0500
                >
                >Glenn wrote:
                > > dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
                > > number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
                > >
                > > Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
                > > database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
                > > 42s. And great to have a reliable date.
                >Yes, the 48" bed was a special item. The 42 and 54" beds were
                >the standard lengths, as they gave approximately 24 and 36"
                >between centers.
                >
                >Jon

                Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
                Caf�. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1
              • Glenn
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                  Yes, when re-wiring you should add a ground wire; To provide its
                  measure of safety, the ground wire should be attached to the motor
                  chassis, metal electrical box at the switch, body of the machine, and
                  to a grounded plug and outlet.

                  By grounding everything metal, you provide a return path should the
                  either of the current carrying conductors come loose or come in
                  contact with anything metal at any point along the way. Basically
                  alleviates the risk of electrocution if wiring comes loose or
                  insulator fails which can happen in old motors and old wiring.

                  <anthonyhovis@...> wrote:

                  > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
                  > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in
                  what I
                  > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                  grounded
                  > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                  > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is "948".
                  > Thanks for the help
                  >
                  > Ton
                  >

                  > >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
                  > >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database posted in
                  > >files
                  > >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:22:12 -0000
                  > >
                  > >dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
                  > >number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
                  > >database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
                  > >42s. And great to have a reliable date.
                  > >
                  > >I'll try to post updated database tonight.
                  > >

                  > >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"
                  > ><anthonyhovis@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I checked it again and it is indeed a TH 48 directly from the tag at
                  > >the
                  > > > beds end.
                  > > > Also, you are right about the 6 digit serial, I just left off the
                  > >last zero,
                  > > > it is six digit. Sorry about that!
                  > > > I just noticed that this is listed in the 1937 Atlas catalog as
                  > >order number
                  > > > 1048 with an effective length of 30" between center.
                  > > > $150 certainly is a steal I think for one in just about any
                  condition,
                  > > > that's almost getting it for scrap price, very good indeed.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ton

                  > >files

                  > >Spreadsheets):

                  > > > Test your celebrity IQ. Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great
                  prizes!

                  >http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

                  > Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft® Office
                  Live!
                  > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/

                • Richard Schaal
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                    I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it on a GFI. Mine
                    is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls for GFI
                    protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. - With all the
                    expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when it comes to
                    wiring.

                    Take a step toward safety!

                    - Richard

                    http://tv.yahoo.com/
                  • uhmgawa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Anthony Hovis wrote:
                      > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if these are
                      > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put in what I
                      > had on hand but it’s just 2-conductor wire so if this should be grounded
                      > I’ll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                      > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is “948”.
                      > Thanks for the help

                      As others have suggested you'd be best to ground all discrete
                      parts of the lathe to which electrical components mount. Don't
                      rely on electrical conduction by bearings or other moving
                      joints to accomplish this task. Eg: if there is a switch in the
                      head, ground the head at the switch in addition to grounding
                      the motor frame. Similarly if you have an outboard reversing
                      switch.

                      Personally while grounding is important it is arguably more
                      important to get that 50+ year old wiring the hell out of
                      there. Insulation decomposition along with generally less
                      stringent safety practices make that wiring a candidate for
                      the trash can. Moreover any "enhancements" made by previous
                      owners enjoying less than UL accepted methods really needs
                      to go.

                      I only wish I took a picture of the NEC haunted house I
                      had on my hands before cleaning up that mess. Truly
                      impressive complete with exposed and taped joints singing in
                      the breeze a few inches behind the head and a motor starter
                      winding of an otherwise non-reversible motor mined out of it
                      headed to an unmounted reversing switch via ungrounded conduit.

                      --
                      uhmgawa@...
                    • Glenn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                        I wouldn't assume a GFCI would completely protect you if used on an
                        ungrounded circuit. GFCIs trip on an imbalance in the current in the
                        two legs (hot & common, black & white) IIRC something like 2 mA or 20
                        mA. You could still be shocked and I believe could still be
                        electrocuted if you are completing either of the legs and are
                        yourself, isolated from ground or any other path for the current to
                        take - an unlikely condition to be sure but not impossible. It
                        doesn't sound like much current, but under the right (or rather
                        wrong!) circumstances, could still cause harm especially around
                        machinery.

                        If a ground is there, loose wires or failed insulation "leaks" will
                        likely flow via the ground wire and trip the GFCI With no ground, it
                        would flow through you to ground, quickly tripping the GFCI, but
                        possible not before causing you to make an involutary movement - a
                        risk around machines.

                        Ground it AND use GFCIs if they are called for by your local code.
                        Better safe than sorry.

                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal
                        <rschaal_95135@...> wrote:

                        > I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it on a
                        GFI. Mine
                        > is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls for GFI
                        > protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. - With
                        all the
                        > expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when it
                        comes to
                        > wiring.
                        >
                        > Take a step toward safety!
                        >
                        > - Richard
                        >
                        > --- Anthony Hovis <anthonyhovis@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if
                        these are
                        > > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just put
                        in what I
                        > > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                        grounded
                        > > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                        > > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it is "948".
                        > > Thanks for the help
                        > >
                        > > Ton
                        > >

                        > > >From: "Glenn" <glenn@...>
                        > > >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                        > > >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Serial Number - Date database
                        posted in
                        > > >files
                        > > >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:22:12 -0000
                        > > >
                        > > >dumb question on my part - the "948" would be the bed casting part
                        > > >number... my 54" is "954"... "948" might be 48". Sorry to doubt you.
                        > > >
                        > > >Thanks for the clarification on serno. Yours is the first 48" in the
                        > > >database, perhaps indicating it's a bit more rare than the 54s and
                        > > >42s. And great to have a reliable date.
                        > > >
                        > > >I'll try to post updated database tonight.
                        > > >

                        > > >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Hovis"

                        > > >the
                        > > >last zero,
                        > > >order number

                        > > >files

                        > > >Spreadsheets):

                        >http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

                        > > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
                        > >
                        > > To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        for the edge of your seat?
                        > http://tv.yahoo.com/

                      • jtiggr
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                          Always ground, certainly the motor.
                          And if you have them: the light, the lube oil pump/motor, adjustable
                          speed drive.
                          If the frame/shell of any of the above also are in contact with the
                          metal parts of the lathe (unless heavily painted), then the lathe is
                          mostly grounded too (but then I don't really like a daisy-chain
                          ground system).

                          I'm running the original 1950's Atlas 120V 1Phase motor. One of the
                          first things done when cleaning the whole mess was to remove the old,
                          worn and bad athletic-taped parts. Wiring to the motor was replaced
                          with new cable/wire (the usual black stuff (type SO or SJ) you see
                          in the hardware store, 3 conductor (black-white-green) and 12
                          gauge). The black & whites went to the original terminal posts, and
                          the green wire received a crimp-on ring lug which was quickly secured
                          to the inside of the cast terminal box with a machine screw (making
                          sure that there was intimate and assured bonding).

                          For $30, I bought a nifty industrial type start-stop switch box from
                          Sears Parts. It was meant for a large, top-of-the-line table saw,
                          but it has a great on button, and a very large red paddle for OFF.
                          Easy to find, no accuracy needed: give it a slap with any body part
                          or accurately thrown chunk of iron, and it turns off instantly.

                          Another recommendation: you can't have enough power outlets in the
                          shop. Run the lathe (and other power tools) off of a separate
                          breaker from your shop lights, and have at least two shop lights on
                          separate breakers. Seems obvious when mentioned, but when the light
                          went out, and the table saw was still runing, it soon made a believer
                          out of me.

                          Good luck.

                          jtiggr

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@...> wrote:

                          > I wouldn't assume a GFCI would completely protect you if used on an
                          > ungrounded circuit. GFCIs trip on an imbalance in the current in
                          the
                          > two legs (hot & common, black & white) IIRC something like 2 mA or
                          20
                          > mA. You could still be shocked and I believe could still be
                          > electrocuted if you are completing either of the legs and are
                          > yourself, isolated from ground or any other path for the current to
                          > take - an unlikely condition to be sure but not impossible. It
                          > doesn't sound like much current, but under the right (or rather
                          > wrong!) circumstances, could still cause harm especially around
                          > machinery.
                          >
                          > If a ground is there, loose wires or failed insulation "leaks" will
                          > likely flow via the ground wire and trip the GFCI With no ground,
                          it
                          > would flow through you to ground, quickly tripping the GFCI, but
                          > possible not before causing you to make an involutary movement - a
                          > risk around machines.
                          >
                          > Ground it AND use GFCIs if they are called for by your local code.
                          > Better safe than sorry.
                          >
                          > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal
                          > <rschaal_95135@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I'd go ahead and ground the beast.... Unless you are running it
                          on a
                          > GFI. Mine
                          > > is both grounded and on a GFI. - The electrical code here calls
                          for GFI
                          > > protection most all outlets in the garage where my lathe is. -
                          With
                          > all the
                          > > expertise in this group making chips, there seems to be less when
                          it
                          > comes to
                          > > wiring.
                          > >
                          > > Take a step toward safety!
                          > >
                          > > - Richard
                          > >
                          > > --- Anthony Hovis <anthonyhovis@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I have a question for someone out there. Could you tell me if
                          > these are
                          > > > supposed to be grounded or not. I changed the wiring and just
                          put
                          > in what I
                          > > > had on hand but it's just 2-conductor wire so if this should be
                          > grounded
                          > > > I'll have to pull it out or just add a grounding wire.
                          > > > By the way, I did double-check the bed casting again and it
                          is "948".
                          > > > Thanks for the help
                          > > >
                          > > > Ton

                          > posted in

                          > tag at
                          > condition,

                          > posted in

                          > for the

                          20Database%20and%20Spreadsheets/

                          ______________Ready
                          > for the edge of your seat?
                          > > Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV.
                          > > http://tv.yahoo.com/

                        • Anthony Hovis
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2007
                            Many thanks to everyone for all the very informative responses
                            By the sounds of things I guess I had better get some other wire in it that
                            has a ground.
                            Another reason I didn�t (other than I didn�t have any) was because the
                            wiring I took out didn�t have the ground either but it certainly didn�t look
                            to be a �factory� wiring job.
                            I really can�t say if GFI�s are code here or not but I guess I better add
                            one of those to and make sure none of the �juice� is running through any
                            bearings or shafts and such.
                            When I cleaned up the lathe I had considered taking the end�s off of the
                            motor and cleaning that to but I decided not to, not yet anyway as it is
                            very dirty and dusty inside. Hopefully before the motor starts overheating
                            from not having enough airflow I�ll get it cleaned.
                            �Jtigger� mentioned outlets; I have the lathe sitting right next to the
                            breaker box so it�s on its own outlet. Having one those large switches
                            sounds like a good idea, it would make it quicker to turn off if something
                            ever did happen.
                            Thanks again for all great info and good ideas
                            I guess have some more wiring to do.

                            Ton