Re: Hi, Gang

  • Bill Libecap
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
      Welcome and how about some pictures?

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "paradisefl06" <tandp1@...> wrote:

      > Joined the group as have acquired a 12x54 (hope I measured the length
      > right) Craftsman, model 101.07381 with quick change model 101.20140.
      > Have NOT been able to find a serial number. Original manual, which
      > came with it, has date 11/29/52 written in it so presume that was when
      > it was purchased first time. Craftsman motor goes to shop next week
      > for checkout but it looks good. Having spent the last 20+ years in an
      > open loft, machine is very dirty. Am cleaning with "universal
      > solvent", 5 gal so far, and have most of the dirt daubler nests, pigeon
      > poop and gunk off. Hey, it's BLUE! Bed is excellent and babbit
      > bearings are good but can tell I'm missing parts and have broken gears
      > on the quick change drive. This is my first metal lathe but am an avid
      > wood turner with a Stubby 750. Couple of friends are machinists who
      > want to learn wood turning so it should work out. Log in as
      > paradisefl06 but name is Tom; I'm located in FL Panhandle. Looking
      > forward to this.

    • Mario L Vitale
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        Paradise/Tom
        Welcome to the group! With "a couple off machinist friends", and this
        group, you should be able to get aswers to most of your questions. I am
        also an avid woodturner ( No Stubby, but a home brew 24" swing "Otherway"
        made from a piece of scrap 10"dia schedule 40 pipe, a front hub from a Chevy
        pickup and assorted scrap iron) I also have a 12" Craftsman lathe that I
        used to make parts for my "Otherway". A metal lathe sure comes in handy when
        making woodturning tools.
        By the way, I live in St. Louis, Mo. the new homw of the US importer of
        Stubby Lathes (Yes, I know Bill R.)

        Mario
        > Joined the group as have acquired a 12x54 (hope I measured the length
        > right) Craftsman, model 101.07381 with quick change model 101.20140.
        > Have NOT been able to find a serial number. Original manual, which
        > came with it, has date 11/29/52 written in it so presume that was when
        > it was purchased first time. Craftsman motor goes to shop next week
        > for checkout but it looks good. Having spent the last 20+ years in an
        > open loft, machine is very dirty. Am cleaning with "universal
        > solvent", 5 gal so far, and have most of the dirt daubler nests, pigeon
        > poop and gunk off. Hey, it's BLUE! Bed is excellent and babbit
        > bearings are good but can tell I'm missing parts and have broken gears
        > on the quick change drive. This is my first metal lathe but am an avid
        > wood turner with a Stubby 750. Couple of friends are machinists who
        > want to learn wood turning so it should work out. Log in as
        > paradisefl06 but name is Tom; I'm located in FL Panhandle. Looking
        > forward to this.

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Sterner