Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Atlas Serial Number Coding

  • Joe R
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4 6:10 PM
      This may be a very dumb question but where is the serial number??

      Stamped into the far right front bedway on my 12" is 68008. Is that the serial number? Or is the model number 101.07383 what we're talking about??

      My lathe has babbit bearings but wide feet and a power cross slide and from that I've determined it's around a 1939 give or take. So the stamped number could indicate 1938 but the Sears model number is off.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4 6:36 PM
        *The English site that Tony maintains, www.lathes.co.uk has a mention of
        the late model 12 inch Atlas lathes having a date code:*
        **
        >>>Unlike earlier Atlas lathes, which were without any form of dating (apart
        from the headstock roller bearings), some if not all 12-inch models had
        casting dates on the inside of their beds: a mark such as 9-2-59 would
        indicate a pouring date of September 2nd 1959 - providing the foundry
        workers had bothered to change the mould numbers, of course.<<<

        *I haven't yet searched mine to see if I can find this date but I will soon
        and others with "late model" 12" Atlas lathes might give it a try as well.*

        *Tony in Texas*

      • ChrisandJudy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4 7:59 PM
          My Craftsman 12 lathe is a 4 digit serial number. 3873S and a Sears model #
          101.07380. It has square feet and the early right hand lead screw bearing.
          From the Sears catalogs I believe it is a 1936 or 1937 model.

          Hope this helps.

          Chris in Washington

          There must be a date code in the serial numbers.
          I was thinking (ooh no, Bobs thinking) possibly the 5th digit in the 6
          digit SN's could be the the last digit of the year?
          A few examples: These are my numbers

          Mod. 618 Ser. 018941 1944
          Mod. H42 Ser. 025382 1938
          Mod. MF Ser. 004430 1943

          On the 5 digit serial numbers the 5th digit would also be the year.
          With more numbers we can see if this works. We all need to send our
          Model and Serial numbers to Glenn and solve this dating issue.

          Robert

          -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@...> wrote:

          > I've started a database of dates and serial numbers. I've mined the
          > archives here, and a few folks responded to an earlier request for
          > data. There are a few fairly certain dates from bearings or sales
          > documents. I say fairly because neither of these date sources are
          > certain to be manufacturing dates.
          >
          > If you have serial numbers and dates, even approximate dates, send to
          > me off-list. I'll clean up and post what I have so far.
          >

          > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "speedphoto300"
          > <speedphoto300@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Short answer: no. Atlas didn't keep records of serial numbers, so even
          > > they can't help. I have heard that they can date motors, but that
          > > seems odd in itself. Timken bearings sometimes have date codes on the
          > > races, and that can help in some cases.
          > >
          > > Joe
          > >

          > > > Does anyone know how to break down the Atlas serial numbers so
          we can
          > > > tell when our machines were manufactured?
          > > > Robert

          Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Glenn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4 8:42 PM
            Interesting find for the 12 inchers - any idea exactly where these
            numbers would be? Would you need to flip the bed over to see them?

            Also, at least on other Atlas lathe models, a lot of the castings are
            9-XX type numbers, so be careful not to confuse these for dates. The
            parts list/diagrams in the files might help sort these out from
            potential dates.

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Elton E. (Tony) Clark"
            <eltonclark@...> wrote:

            > *The English site that Tony maintains, www.lathes.co.uk has a
            mention of
            > the late model 12 inch Atlas lathes having a date code:*
            > **
            > from the headstock roller bearings), some if not all 12-inch models had
            > casting dates on the inside of their beds: a mark such as 9-2-59 would
            > indicate a pouring date of September 2nd 1959 - providing the foundry
            > workers had bothered to change the mould numbers, of course.<<<
            >
            > *I haven't yet searched mine to see if I can find this date but I
            will soon
            > and others with "late model" 12" Atlas lathes might give it a try as
            well.*

            > *Tony in Texas*

          • Glenn
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4 8:49 PM
              hmmm...
              other lathes that have been fairly positively dated (bearing dates,
              invoices) don't match this observation. If you're sure of your dates,
              that's quite a coincidence the way they match 5th digit.

              Perhaps they started doing this at some point... 'changing horses in
              the middle of the stream', which would make interpreting ser #s even
              more of a challange.

              For now, I will dutifully collect the data, and try to make sense of
              it when we have more.

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "actionhac" <actionhac@...> wrote:

              > There must be a date code in the serial numbers.
              > I was thinking (ooh no, Bobs thinking) possibly the 5th digit in the 6
              > digit SN's could be the the last digit of the year?
              > A few examples: These are my numbers
              >
              > Mod. 618 Ser. 018941 1944
              > Mod. H42 Ser. 025382 1938
              > Mod. MF Ser. 004430 1943
              >
              > On the 5 digit serial numbers the 5th digit would also be the year.
              > With more numbers we can see if this works. We all need to send our
              > Model and Serial numbers to Glenn and solve this dating issue.
              >
              > Robert
              >

              > -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've started a database of dates and serial numbers. I've mined the
              > > archives here, and a few folks responded to an earlier request for
              > > data. There are a few fairly certain dates from bearings or sales
              > > documents. I say fairly because neither of these date sources are
              > > certain to be manufacturing dates.
              > >
              > > If you have serial numbers and dates, even approximate dates, send to
              > > me off-list. I'll clean up and post what I have so far.
              > >

              > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "speedphoto300"
              > > <speedphoto300@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Short answer: no. Atlas didn't keep records of serial numbers,
              so even
              > > > they can't help. I have heard that they can date motors, but that
              > > > seems odd in itself. Timken bearings sometimes have date codes
              on the
              > > > races, and that can help in some cases.
              > > >
              > > > Joe

              > we can

            • Glenn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4 8:57 PM
                I recognize the 101.07383 as a Sears Craftsman model number. They
                still use a similar model numbering system to this day for all manner
                of items they sell.

                I would take the number stamped in the bed as the serial number.

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R" <jromas@...> wrote:

                > This may be a very dumb question but where is the serial number??
                >
                > Stamped into the far right front bedway on my 12" is 68008. Is that
                the serial number? Or is the model number 101.07383 what we're talking
                about??

                > My lathe has babbit bearings but wide feet and a power cross
                slide and from that I've determined it's around a 1939 give or take.
                So the stamped number could indicate 1938 but the Sears model number
                is off.

                > Joe

              • Glenn N
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4 10:16 PM
                  I would get all the numbers from my lathe but it should probably be called a 2002 modle year as it has so many parts from so many other lathes it pretty much became new again then :) I did discover that the older lathe carraige will take a newer cross slide and compound. The newer cross slide is wider than the older one but the dovetail spacing is the same. I believe there was a change in the type of handles on the quick change gear boxes for different years as I have seen at least three different handle styles.
                  I have the rounded headstock with timken bearings which dates it within about 20 years I guess :)
                  I think it is older than I am and in much better shape LOL.
                  Glenn N