Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Atlas Serial Number Coding

  • Joe R
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
      This may be a very dumb question but where is the serial number??

      Stamped into the far right front bedway on my 12" is 68008. Is that the serial number? Or is the model number 101.07383 what we're talking about??

      My lathe has babbit bearings but wide feet and a power cross slide and from that I've determined it's around a 1939 give or take. So the stamped number could indicate 1938 but the Sears model number is off.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
        Hey Guys,
        I would like to offer my lathe information for dating purposes.
        Atlas 618, Serial Number: 005009, spindle thread is 10TPI by 1", all
        change gears are aluminum, at some point I will remove the spindle
        and post the Timken bearing number. Any other distinguishing
        characteristics? Bud Baker

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "actionhac" <actionhac@...>
        wrote:

        > There must be a date code in the serial numbers.
        > I was thinking (ooh no, Bobs thinking) possibly the 5th digit in
        the 6
        > digit SN's could be the the last digit of the year?
        > A few examples: These are my numbers
        >
        > Mod. 618 Ser. 018941 1944
        > Mod. H42 Ser. 025382 1938
        > Mod. MF Ser. 004430 1943
        >
        > On the 5 digit serial numbers the 5th digit would also be the year.
        > With more numbers we can see if this works. We all need to send our
        > Model and Serial numbers to Glenn and solve this dating issue.
        >
        > Robert
        >

        > -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've started a database of dates and serial numbers. I've mined
        the
        > > archives here, and a few folks responded to an earlier request for
        > > data. There are a few fairly certain dates from bearings or sales
        > > documents. I say fairly because neither of these date sources are
        > > certain to be manufacturing dates.
        > >
        > > If you have serial numbers and dates, even approximate dates,
        send to
        > > me off-list. I'll clean up and post what I have so far.
        > >

        > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "speedphoto300"
        > > <speedphoto300@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Short answer: no. Atlas didn't keep records of serial numbers,
        so even
        > > > they can't help. I have heard that they can date motors, but
        that
        > > > seems odd in itself. Timken bearings sometimes have date codes
        on the
        > > > races, and that can help in some cases.
        > > >
        > > > Joe

        > we can

      • Elton E. (Tony) Clark
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
          *The English site that Tony maintains, www.lathes.co.uk has a mention of
          the late model 12 inch Atlas lathes having a date code:*
          **
          >>>Unlike earlier Atlas lathes, which were without any form of dating (apart
          from the headstock roller bearings), some if not all 12-inch models had
          casting dates on the inside of their beds: a mark such as 9-2-59 would
          indicate a pouring date of September 2nd 1959 - providing the foundry
          workers had bothered to change the mould numbers, of course.<<<

          *I haven't yet searched mine to see if I can find this date but I will soon
          and others with "late model" 12" Atlas lathes might give it a try as well.*

          *Tony in Texas*

        • ChrisandJudy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
            My Craftsman 12 lathe is a 4 digit serial number. 3873S and a Sears model #
            101.07380. It has square feet and the early right hand lead screw bearing.
            From the Sears catalogs I believe it is a 1936 or 1937 model.

            Hope this helps.

            Chris in Washington

            There must be a date code in the serial numbers.
            I was thinking (ooh no, Bobs thinking) possibly the 5th digit in the 6
            digit SN's could be the the last digit of the year?
            A few examples: These are my numbers

            Mod. 618 Ser. 018941 1944
            Mod. H42 Ser. 025382 1938
            Mod. MF Ser. 004430 1943

            On the 5 digit serial numbers the 5th digit would also be the year.
            With more numbers we can see if this works. We all need to send our
            Model and Serial numbers to Glenn and solve this dating issue.

            Robert

            -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@...> wrote:

            > I've started a database of dates and serial numbers. I've mined the
            > archives here, and a few folks responded to an earlier request for
            > data. There are a few fairly certain dates from bearings or sales
            > documents. I say fairly because neither of these date sources are
            > certain to be manufacturing dates.
            >
            > If you have serial numbers and dates, even approximate dates, send to
            > me off-list. I'll clean up and post what I have so far.
            >

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "speedphoto300"
            > <speedphoto300@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Short answer: no. Atlas didn't keep records of serial numbers, so even
            > > they can't help. I have heard that they can date motors, but that
            > > seems odd in itself. Timken bearings sometimes have date codes on the
            > > races, and that can help in some cases.
            > >
            > > Joe
            > >

            > > > Does anyone know how to break down the Atlas serial numbers so
            we can
            > > > tell when our machines were manufactured?
            > > > Robert

            Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Glenn
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
              Interesting find for the 12 inchers - any idea exactly where these
              numbers would be? Would you need to flip the bed over to see them?

              Also, at least on other Atlas lathe models, a lot of the castings are
              9-XX type numbers, so be careful not to confuse these for dates. The
              parts list/diagrams in the files might help sort these out from
              potential dates.

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Elton E. (Tony) Clark"
              <eltonclark@...> wrote:

              > *The English site that Tony maintains, www.lathes.co.uk has a
              mention of
              > the late model 12 inch Atlas lathes having a date code:*
              > **
              > from the headstock roller bearings), some if not all 12-inch models had
              > casting dates on the inside of their beds: a mark such as 9-2-59 would
              > indicate a pouring date of September 2nd 1959 - providing the foundry
              > workers had bothered to change the mould numbers, of course.<<<
              >
              > *I haven't yet searched mine to see if I can find this date but I
              will soon
              > and others with "late model" 12" Atlas lathes might give it a try as
              well.*

              > *Tony in Texas*

            • Glenn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                hmmm...
                other lathes that have been fairly positively dated (bearing dates,
                invoices) don't match this observation. If you're sure of your dates,
                that's quite a coincidence the way they match 5th digit.

                Perhaps they started doing this at some point... 'changing horses in
                the middle of the stream', which would make interpreting ser #s even
                more of a challange.

                For now, I will dutifully collect the data, and try to make sense of
                it when we have more.

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "actionhac" <actionhac@...> wrote:

                > There must be a date code in the serial numbers.
                > I was thinking (ooh no, Bobs thinking) possibly the 5th digit in the 6
                > digit SN's could be the the last digit of the year?
                > A few examples: These are my numbers
                >
                > Mod. 618 Ser. 018941 1944
                > Mod. H42 Ser. 025382 1938
                > Mod. MF Ser. 004430 1943
                >
                > On the 5 digit serial numbers the 5th digit would also be the year.
                > With more numbers we can see if this works. We all need to send our
                > Model and Serial numbers to Glenn and solve this dating issue.
                >
                > Robert
                >

                > -- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've started a database of dates and serial numbers. I've mined the
                > > archives here, and a few folks responded to an earlier request for
                > > data. There are a few fairly certain dates from bearings or sales
                > > documents. I say fairly because neither of these date sources are
                > > certain to be manufacturing dates.
                > >
                > > If you have serial numbers and dates, even approximate dates, send to
                > > me off-list. I'll clean up and post what I have so far.
                > >

                > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "speedphoto300"
                > > <speedphoto300@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Short answer: no. Atlas didn't keep records of serial numbers,
                so even
                > > > they can't help. I have heard that they can date motors, but that
                > > > seems odd in itself. Timken bearings sometimes have date codes
                on the
                > > > races, and that can help in some cases.
                > > >
                > > > Joe

                > we can

              • Glenn
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                  I recognize the 101.07383 as a Sears Craftsman model number. They
                  still use a similar model numbering system to this day for all manner
                  of items they sell.

                  I would take the number stamped in the bed as the serial number.

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R" <jromas@...> wrote:

                  > This may be a very dumb question but where is the serial number??
                  >
                  > Stamped into the far right front bedway on my 12" is 68008. Is that
                  the serial number? Or is the model number 101.07383 what we're talking
                  about??

                  > My lathe has babbit bearings but wide feet and a power cross
                  slide and from that I've determined it's around a 1939 give or take.
                  So the stamped number could indicate 1938 but the Sears model number
                  is off.

                  > Joe

                • Glenn N
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                    I would get all the numbers from my lathe but it should probably be called a 2002 modle year as it has so many parts from so many other lathes it pretty much became new again then :) I did discover that the older lathe carraige will take a newer cross slide and compound. The newer cross slide is wider than the older one but the dovetail spacing is the same. I believe there was a change in the type of handles on the quick change gear boxes for different years as I have seen at least three different handle styles.
                    I have the rounded headstock with timken bearings which dates it within about 20 years I guess :)
                    I think it is older than I am and in much better shape LOL.
                    Glenn N