Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: QC tool post

  • Brett Jones
    Message 1 of 38 , May 31, 2007
      I think either 12" compound will clear the QCTP without modification.
      The 10" and I assume 6" Atlas machine require clearance, one way or another.

      catboat15@... wrote:

      > Apparently there are two versions on the 12 inch Atlas compound. My tool
      > post fit with no modifications at all (except for trimming the part that
      > fits
      > the T slide, chain drilled, hack saw and file.)
      > About the only time I use the QC post is parting off. Since I get most
      > of my
      > HSS tooling as surplus no two tools are the same. So I switch between
      > the QC
      > and the lantern with Armstrong tool holders a lot. Incidentally there
      > are two
      > kinds of the Armstrong holders. One has the square hole for the tool bit
      > straight and level for carbide and one has the hole slanted back to give
      > automatic back rake for HSS tool bits.
      >
      > John Meacham
      > from the high deserts of Calif
      > 12 inch Atlas lathe, mini mill, HF band saw and a rusty file.

      Brett Jones
      brett@...
    • jeworman
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Keller <kevkeller@...>
        wrote:

        > I just received my Phase II QC tool post also yesterday. The tool
        > post is too wide for the top of the compound slide because there is a
        > raised hump on the compound slide that interferes with the tool post.
        >
        > I had two choices, I could either mill off the raised portion on the
        > compound slide or I could take a slight cut around the edge of the
        > tool post bottom edge to raise it over the hump. I chose to cut the
        > edge off of the tool post.
        >
        > I am curious if other people have run into the problem and how they
        > handled it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kevin

        I did the big washer thing for a few years until I saw a milled
        compound on Ebay. I got it and there is no interference any more. I
        don't know if one system is more rigid than the other, but I still
        have my original compound if I want to go back. So far I haven't been
        tempted.

        John