Re: Collet System for 6" Atlas/ Clausing

  • Art Herrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2000
      Hi ! Group

      Found a collet set up for my 6" ATLAS/CLAUSING lathe, Model 3950
      (circa. 1974/1980s)

      Price is a bargain! Check out BEST WOOD TOOLS:

      http://www.storeyahoo.com/bestwoodtools/colsysfor2mo.html

      If your lathe spindle nose has a 1"-8 or 1"-10 thread with #2 MT, and the
      spindle bore is (mine is .525) I.D., your in business. Total cost
      $150.97, for draw bar, spindle thread guard, 7 collets (1/8" to 1/2" x
      1/16"increments) and a machined aluminum collet storage stand.

      The owner of BEST WOOD TOOLS is Victor Arrighi: varrigh1@...

      E-Mail Victor (say I sent you) and give him the total length of your spindle
      and its Bore I.D., thread size on spindle nose, the dia. of hole in Gear
      Guard Cover and how far it is from the outboard end of the spindle to the
      Gear Guard Cover face, and the distance from the spindle nose to the flanged
      face that your 3 jaw chuck
      seats on. Also give him lathe manufacturer (i.e. 6" ATLAS/Craftsman, or
      other), Model
      No., and the serial number of your lathe.

      The aluminum collet storage stand (7 1/4"x1"x1 1/4" high) is nicely machined
      and is really a necessity (no collets banging around in a box or draw and
      nicking up the MT surface). It brings the collet cost down around, say $10
      or $11 (or less) which is a bargain, when you buy the set.

      The one draw back is that because the draw bar is solid you can not pass
      long pieces of rod stock back through the spindle ... that is the price we
      pay for
      our small lathes. We do not have to worry about scrap from a production
      run,
      so I suppose it does not make any difference. I like the idea of easily
      chucking small pieces, and not having to work up close to a 3 or 4 jaw
      chuck. Example: 1/2" dia. stock seat's itself 2 1/8" into the collet.

      Had a retired tool maker friend check my Collet System out ... well made and
      a bargain!

      Disclaimer: "I have no monitory interest in BEST WOOD TOOLS". Just thought
      this was something that a lot of people have been looking for.

      Art Herrick
      Westmoreland NH

      artships@...
    • Mickey Feldman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2000
        That would be http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/colsysfor2mo.html
        (store DOT yahoo).

        Any reason this wouldn't work for the Atlas Mill, which also has a #2MT
        spindle (which I think Marty said was the same parts as the 6" lathe) ?
        Would the gearbox get in the way? Only need the sizes that fit end mills,
        of course...

        Mickey Feldman
        mickeyfeldman@...
        Victoria, BC