Re: updated tool post / chuck / accuracy adjustments

  • redsouljoe
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
      http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNT-LATHE-
      CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      How does this chuck stack up? I feel like a novice for asking, but what
      is a backing plate? I can only assume it's a threaded adapter plate
      that screws on the headstock and attahes to the chuck. The only reason
      I ask is because I have a chuck that screws directly on the headstock;
      seems like it cuts out the middle man. Will this threaded chuck fit my
      lathe?

      Thank you for all the replies, I'll take my camera to the shop tomorrow
      to snap a few pics of my lathe and projects.
    • redsouljoe
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
        http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNt-LATHE-
        CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

        try this link, and if it still won't work it's ebay item 130095425275
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
          redsouljoe wrote:
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNT-LATHE-
          > CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
          >
          > How does this chuck stack up? I feel like a novice for asking, but what
          > is a backing plate? I can only assume it's a threaded adapter plate
          > that screws on the headstock and attahes to the chuck. The only reason
          > I ask is because I have a chuck that screws directly on the headstock;
          > seems like it cuts out the middle man. Will this threaded chuck fit my
          > lathe?
          You are right about what the backing plate is. The reason for
          it is that the plate can be machined to run perfectly true on
          YOUR lathe spindle. Then, the precision-machined chuck body
          will bolt onto a surface that runs exactly true. If there are
          dings, slight warpage, etc. on the spindle, the chuck will still
          run true.

          The 1.5-8 thread should fit any 10 or 12" Atlas or
          Atlas/Craftsman lathe.

          Jon
        • Brett Jones
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
            Looks like the auction has closed with a "buy it now", did you buy it? I
            bought and installed a similar Bison chuck through Enco a week ago or
            so. I think I paid around $170 for the chuck alone. If this auction was
            for the same part, it was a very fair price.

            I got the plain back chuck with a pre-threaded Bison backing plate.
            Cutting the shoulder on the backing plate was simple enough but drilling
            the mounting holes would have been a pain had I not had a rotary table
            to space out the 3 holes in the bolt circle.

            --
            Brett Jones
            brett@...
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
              In a message dated 4/3/2007 11:57:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              brett@... writes:

              I got the plain back chuck with a pre-threaded Bison backing plate.
              Cutting the shoulder on the backing plate was simple enough but drilling
              the mounting holes would have been a pain had I not had a rotary table
              to space out the 3 holes in the bolt circle.

              FWIW w/ out a rotary ( i have one but think this might be quicker)...last
              six or so new chucks i fitted had bolt circle dim.on instructions ....measured
              off finished b/plate od & scribed a circle w/ lathe tool...then indexed &
              marked w/ crftsmn h/stock indexer, ...used bull gear teeth & a file bearing
              couple places on bed & h/stock casting for 14 in antique ....made an index bar
              for gear teeth on wards logan ......
              best wishes
              docn8as

            • redsouljoe
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/hendrixsolo/Picture045.jpg
                http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/hendrixsolo/Picture047.jpg

                Here are a few pics of my lathe. I plan on giving it a thorough
                cleaning and a bit of a polish (chrome, anyone?) but first off I
                need to update the lathe to make it perform.

                I'm sold on the backing plate/chuck combo rather than just a threaded
                chuck. It seems like the much more accurate way to run. Still a few
                more questions though...

                http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Bison-Chuck-Backplate-1-1-2-
                8_W0QQitemZ320099469940QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                Ebay Item 320099469940

                As I understand it, I simply need to mount this plate to the spindle
                then face the plate to make it run true for my lathe. After that I
                bolt the plate to the chuck and presto.

                Since the backplate is made fr a bison chuck, will the chuck have
                corresponding bolt holes already drilled in it? The reason I ask is
                because I don't have a very accurate drill press or a mill, so I'm
                not sure how I would accurately attach the chuck if it doesn't have
                holes already.

                Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.
              • William Abernathy
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
                  redsouljoe wrote:
                  > As I understand it, I simply need to mount this plate to the spindle
                  > then face the plate to make it run true for my lathe. After that I
                  > bolt the plate to the chuck and presto.

                  You also need to cut a bit of a recess around the edge. When you look at the
                  "plain back" chuck, you'll see it has a bit of a rim to it. You need to cut
                  enough off the edges that you have a solid connection between the plate (male)
                  and the chuck (female).

                  Pardon my ASCII...

                  _

                  plate > | < chuck

                  _

                  > Since the backplate is made fr a bison chuck, will the chuck have
                  > corresponding bolt holes already drilled in it? The reason I ask is
                  > because I don't have a very accurate drill press or a mill, so I'm
                  > not sure how I would accurately attach the chuck if it doesn't have
                  > holes already.

                  If you can cut the pokey-inny part of the plate accurately with your lathe, then
                  you can cut your bolt holes with a lot of slop. The accuracy of the bolt holes
                  is not critical; the accuracy of the plate is.

                  The only other gotcha with Bison chucks is that they're not always the most
                  convenient size. My 6" Bison chuck requires a 6 1/4" backing plate. YMMV.

                  --W