Re: updated tool post / chuck / accuracy adjustments

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
      >3a. Re: updated tool post / chuck / accuracy adjustments Posted by: "William Abernathy" william@...   Yahuselah Sun Apr 1, 2007 10:00 pm (PST)
      > redsouljoe wrote:
      >
      >The Phase II AXA-compatible post is the way to go.

      I have the Phase II piston tool post, AXA size on my 12x36. It's pretty good, and I got it for the "sale" price of $89 (ENCO is like an oriental rug store with the sale on this one).

      I would reommend the wedge post, if you can afford the difference, as the toolholder on the piston post can rock slightly under heavy load. The wedge supports the entire holder, not just in the center.

      BTW, get as many tool holders as you can - the turning or turning/boring conbination ones. If you have to keep swapping out the bits in them, it ain't quick change. Littlemachineshop.com seems to have the cheapest price, although I do not know anything about the quality, as I have not ordered any from them yet. If anyone has, pleaase add comments.

      As far as the chuck questions, see:
      http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=76429
      and
      http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=73256

      for some good information on truing chucks.

      Steve

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • redsouljoe
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
        http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNT-LATHE-
        CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

        How does this chuck stack up? I feel like a novice for asking, but what
        is a backing plate? I can only assume it's a threaded adapter plate
        that screws on the headstock and attahes to the chuck. The only reason
        I ask is because I have a chuck that screws directly on the headstock;
        seems like it cuts out the middle man. Will this threaded chuck fit my
        lathe?

        Thank you for all the replies, I'll take my camera to the shop tomorrow
        to snap a few pics of my lathe and projects.
      • redsouljoe
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
          http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNt-LATHE-
          CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

          try this link, and if it still won't work it's ebay item 130095425275
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
            redsouljoe wrote:
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/BISON-3285-3W856-5IN-3-JAW-THREAD-MOUNT-LATHE-
            > CHUCK_W0QQitemZ130095425275QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            >
            > How does this chuck stack up? I feel like a novice for asking, but what
            > is a backing plate? I can only assume it's a threaded adapter plate
            > that screws on the headstock and attahes to the chuck. The only reason
            > I ask is because I have a chuck that screws directly on the headstock;
            > seems like it cuts out the middle man. Will this threaded chuck fit my
            > lathe?
            You are right about what the backing plate is. The reason for
            it is that the plate can be machined to run perfectly true on
            YOUR lathe spindle. Then, the precision-machined chuck body
            will bolt onto a surface that runs exactly true. If there are
            dings, slight warpage, etc. on the spindle, the chuck will still
            run true.

            The 1.5-8 thread should fit any 10 or 12" Atlas or
            Atlas/Craftsman lathe.

            Jon
          • Brett Jones
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
              Looks like the auction has closed with a "buy it now", did you buy it? I
              bought and installed a similar Bison chuck through Enco a week ago or
              so. I think I paid around $170 for the chuck alone. If this auction was
              for the same part, it was a very fair price.

              I got the plain back chuck with a pre-threaded Bison backing plate.
              Cutting the shoulder on the backing plate was simple enough but drilling
              the mounting holes would have been a pain had I not had a rotary table
              to space out the 3 holes in the bolt circle.

              --
              Brett Jones
              brett@...
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                In a message dated 4/3/2007 11:57:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                brett@... writes:

                I got the plain back chuck with a pre-threaded Bison backing plate.
                Cutting the shoulder on the backing plate was simple enough but drilling
                the mounting holes would have been a pain had I not had a rotary table
                to space out the 3 holes in the bolt circle.

                FWIW w/ out a rotary ( i have one but think this might be quicker)...last
                six or so new chucks i fitted had bolt circle dim.on instructions ....measured
                off finished b/plate od & scribed a circle w/ lathe tool...then indexed &
                marked w/ crftsmn h/stock indexer, ...used bull gear teeth & a file bearing
                couple places on bed & h/stock casting for 14 in antique ....made an index bar
                for gear teeth on wards logan ......
                best wishes
                docn8as

              • redsouljoe
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                  http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/hendrixsolo/Picture045.jpg
                  http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/hendrixsolo/Picture047.jpg

                  Here are a few pics of my lathe. I plan on giving it a thorough
                  cleaning and a bit of a polish (chrome, anyone?) but first off I
                  need to update the lathe to make it perform.

                  I'm sold on the backing plate/chuck combo rather than just a threaded
                  chuck. It seems like the much more accurate way to run. Still a few
                  more questions though...

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Bison-Chuck-Backplate-1-1-2-
                  8_W0QQitemZ320099469940QQcategoryZ25292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                  Ebay Item 320099469940

                  As I understand it, I simply need to mount this plate to the spindle
                  then face the plate to make it run true for my lathe. After that I
                  bolt the plate to the chuck and presto.

                  Since the backplate is made fr a bison chuck, will the chuck have
                  corresponding bolt holes already drilled in it? The reason I ask is
                  because I don't have a very accurate drill press or a mill, so I'm
                  not sure how I would accurately attach the chuck if it doesn't have
                  holes already.

                  Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.
                • William Abernathy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2007
                    redsouljoe wrote:
                    > As I understand it, I simply need to mount this plate to the spindle
                    > then face the plate to make it run true for my lathe. After that I
                    > bolt the plate to the chuck and presto.

                    You also need to cut a bit of a recess around the edge. When you look at the
                    "plain back" chuck, you'll see it has a bit of a rim to it. You need to cut
                    enough off the edges that you have a solid connection between the plate (male)
                    and the chuck (female).

                    Pardon my ASCII...

                    _

                    plate > | < chuck

                    _

                    > Since the backplate is made fr a bison chuck, will the chuck have
                    > corresponding bolt holes already drilled in it? The reason I ask is
                    > because I don't have a very accurate drill press or a mill, so I'm
                    > not sure how I would accurately attach the chuck if it doesn't have
                    > holes already.

                    If you can cut the pokey-inny part of the plate accurately with your lathe, then
                    you can cut your bolt holes with a lot of slop. The accuracy of the bolt holes
                    is not critical; the accuracy of the plate is.

                    The only other gotcha with Bison chucks is that they're not always the most
                    convenient size. My 6" Bison chuck requires a 6 1/4" backing plate. YMMV.

                    --W