Cross feed nut material??

  • mud_spinner
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 10:27 AM
      My cross feed nut has some play in it and I'd like to take this slop
      out with an Idea suggested here on this group. The original idea is to
      cut the existing nut almost into two nuts and use a screw to pull the
      two halves towarsd each other taking up the slop. I saw another option
      on the web using an added "nut" on the end of the existing nut with a
      screw for taking up the slop.

      My question is this, what material is appropriate for this added nut.
      I have actually found a LH 1/2"X10tpi BRASS nut but since the original
      is some type of bronze I thought I'd ask if the brass is soft enough.
      (Yes, I over analyze everything)

      Thanks, Ben
    • LouD31M066@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 10:44 AM
        Brass (probably yellow brass) is probably good enough.if not, it will be
        easy enough to make another
        in bronze. I sincerely doubt the original was a true bronze as the
        difference in metal price was likely far greater than the difference in performance.
        Louis

      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 10:47 AM
          Brass should work fine as a running jamnut. It will have to be fixed in more than one point with screws to keep it from canting and giving you a different setting going in than coming out.
          Let us know how it works when you are done :)
          Glenn Neff
          Medford, OR
          > My cross feed nut has some play in it and I'd like to take this slop
          > out with an Idea suggested here on this group. The original idea is to
          > cut the existing nut almost into two nuts and use a screw to pull the
          > two halves towarsd each other taking up the slop. I saw another option
          > on the web using an added "nut" on the end of the existing nut with a
          > screw for taking up the slop.
          >
          > My question is this, what material is appropriate for this added nut.
          > I have actually found a LH 1/2"X10tpi BRASS nut but since the original
          > is some type of bronze I thought I'd ask if the brass is soft enough.
          > (Yes, I over analyze everything)
          >
          > Thanks, Ben

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • kevkeller2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2 10:48 AM
            I am thinking of using delrin. That should be soft enough at the same time hard enough to
            use.
          • mud_spinner
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 11:19 AM
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn N" <sleykin@...> wrote:

              > Brass should work fine as a running jamnut. It will have to be
              fixed in more than one point with screws to keep it from canting and
              giving you a different setting going in than coming out.

              Great point!
              I hadn't thought of that.
              I may have to modify my design slightly.

              links http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3 10:37 AM
                >2d. Re: Cross feed nut material?? Posted by: "Glenn N" sleykin@...   sleykin Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:02 am (PST)
                > Brass should work fine as a running jamnut. It will have to be fixed in more than one point with screws to keep it from canting and giving you a different setting going in than coming out.
                >Let us know how it works when you are done :)
                >Glenn Neff
                >Medford, OR

                I have seen anti-backlash devices that had a second nut with a threaded collar on it that threaded into a recess in the first nut. That way, you could get a fine adjustment with good support and the two nuts would remain in line. It had a locknut to keep it in place once it is there. I was thinking of making one like that.

                If you use screws, you will need to ensure that they can take the load (parting generates an awful lof of force).

                Also, remember that it all has to fit inside the cross slide.

                Steve

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com