Model 109

  • William Copley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2000
      Can anyone tell me the difference between model 109-0703 and model
      109-21270 if there is any.
      Thanks
      Bill
      P.S. I am looking for a parts machine for a 6" Dunlap model 109-0703
      I need the back end. If anyone has one
    • catboat15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
        In a message dated 3/28/2004 5:08:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:
        I really think I would like to buy an older Craftsman and refurbish
        it. Will it be better than a new Chinese lathe? I have an
        opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109.0703 for $350.
        I would not go that price for a model number starting with 109. That is a
        small lathe that sears did not get from Atlas and often has a bent spindle. The
        spindle itself is much smaller than the Atlas (models starting with 101.)
        There is a source for some parts but not as well supported as Clausing supports
        Atlas machines.
        Really a light duty machine only and I think you would have problems turning
        up cast iron flywheels etc.

        John Meacham
        In the high desert of California
        12 X 48 Craftsman lathe
        Mini mill
        rusty file

      • Dick Farris
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
          John,
          I have a 109, and I agree with you. I would not turn anything like cast iron
          on it. I have turned al, some brass and bronze, and had no problems, but
          everything I do on the 109 is light-weight action.
          Dick Farris
          Toledo, oh ( once known as Frogtown)

          > I really think I would like to buy an older Craftsman and refurbish
          > it. Will it be better than a new Chinese lathe? I have an
          > opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109.0703 for $350.
          > I would not go that price for a model number starting with 109. That is a
          > small lathe that sears did not get from Atlas and often has a bent
          spindle. The
          > spindle itself is much smaller than the Atlas (models starting with 101.)
          > There is a source for some parts but not as well supported as Clausing
          supports
          > Atlas machines.
          > Really a light duty machine only and I think you would have problems
          turning
          > up cast iron flywheels etc.
          > John Meacham
          > In the high desert of California
          > 12 X 48 Craftsman lathe
          > Mini mill
          > rusty file
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
            OK here's my 2��. I have a Craftsman Commercial 12" X 36" [or 54"
            depending on who's talking] and, so far, it's done everything I could
            think of. I have an Atlas 6", on a workbench, not six feet from the 12"
            that belongs to a friend of mine. There's no comparison. For the
            difference in price I'd much rather have a good 101.28990, 12" X 36",
            any day. But as I said it my 2��.
            --
            Ron in Fort Worth
            12" X 36" Craftsman Commercial

            On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 20:56, Dick Farris wrote:
            > John,
            > I have a 109, and I agree with you. I would not turn anything like cast iron
            > on it. I have turned al, some brass and bronze, and had no problems, but
            > everything I do on the 109 is light-weight action.
            > Dick Farris
            > Toledo, oh ( once known as Frogtown)
            >
            > > I really think I would like to buy an older Craftsman and refurbish
            > > it. Will it be better than a new Chinese lathe? I have an
            > > opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109.0703 for $350.
            > > I would not go that price for a model number starting with 109. That is a
            > > small lathe that sears did not get from Atlas and often has a bent
            > spindle. The
            > > spindle itself is much smaller than the Atlas (models starting with 101.)
            > > There is a source for some parts but not as well supported as Clausing
            > supports
            > > Atlas machines.
            > > Really a light duty machine only and I think you would have problems
            > turning
            > > up cast iron flywheels etc.
            > > John Meacham
            > > In the high desert of California
            > > 12 X 48 Craftsman lathe
            > > Mini mill
            > > rusty file
          • mertbaker
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
              I would be tickled pink to get 350 for the 109 I have. Good shape, straight
              spindle & all.
              Mert

              MertBaker@...
              > In a message dated 3/28/2004 5:08:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:
              > I really think I would like to buy an older Craftsman and refurbish
              > it. Will it be better than a new Chinese lathe? I have an
              > opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109.0703 for $350.
              > I would not go that price for a model number starting with 109. That is a
              > small lathe that sears did not get from Atlas and often has a bent
              spindle. The
              > spindle itself is much smaller than the Atlas (models starting with 101.)
              > There is a source for some parts but not as well supported as Clausing
              supports
              > Atlas machines.
              > Really a light duty machine only and I think you would have problems
              turning
              > up cast iron flywheels etc.
              >

              > John Meacham
              > In the high desert of California
              > 12 X 48 Craftsman lathe
              > Mini mill
              > rusty file

              > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jerdal
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
                > > In a message dated 3/28/2004 5:08:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                > > atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com writes:
                > > I really think I would like to buy an older Craftsman and refurbish
                > > it. Will it be better than a new Chinese lathe? I have an
                > > opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109.0703 for $350.

                Sorry, that is not an "opportunity", it is something else altogether.
                Theft, perhaps?

                There isn't a 109 available "worth" that when I continue to see Atlas 6 x 18
                for the area of $200 to $300. The Atlas is 8 times the machine, literally.

                With a 1" spindle, it is 2 x the spindle nose diameter, which indicates a
                stiffness 8 times that of the 109. hence 8 times the machine.

                Offer $100 if you must have one.

                Jerrold
              • smemsic
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Where do you find these used Craftsman/Atlas lathes?
                  I'm in the West Michigan area and havn't figured out where they are
                  hiding. Are some areas of the country blessed with more than others?
                  elliott---

                  > There isn't a 109 available "worth" that when I continue to see
                  Atlas 6 x 18
                  > for the area of $200 to $300. The Atlas is 8 times the machine,
                  literally.

                  > With a 1" spindle, it is 2 x the spindle nose diameter, which
                  indicates a
                  > stiffness 8 times that of the 109. hence 8 times the machine.
                  >
                  > Offer $100 if you must have one.
                  >
                  > Jerrold
                • jerdal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
                    St Louis.
                    Three in past few months, all for under $300. I would have bought the late
                    model one with attachments for $200, if I had wanted one. Or if I wanted a
                    quick buck.
                    Both the Atlas shapers I have went for cheap, $150 and $200.
                    Jerrold