Re: Collets, Drawbars, Drawtubes? Need help/explanation.

  • d_c71_2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
      Thanks for the Great info and advice. I'll see what I can come up
      with. Appreciate the help.

      DC

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerdal" <jerdal@...> wrote:

      > > How would I locate (purchase) say a ½-inch 3C collet and appropriate
      > > Drawbar / Drawtube to work with this mini-mill? I look through
      > > machine-tool supply catalogs but I'm not sure what would actually
      > > work. Also prices seem to be all over the place on these things.
      >
      > Collets, new, are about $20 in general from places like Victor
      Machinery.

      > The drawtube you are best off to MAKE....
      >
      > For one thing, on the mill, you don't need a "tube" but really a drawbar
      > would work. You won't need to put work thru it.
      >
      > So all you need is a threaded "cup" to pull the collet, the rest can
      be a
      > bar of appropriate size, with some form of centralizing washer to
      keep from
      > sending the collet off line.
      >
      > For the lathe, ditto..... Piece of pipe for the tube, you may need
      to turn
      > it down a bit to fit. Braze or solder a decent piece of metal in
      the end
      > to thread for the collet. make the closer in-place for max accuracy.
      >
      > But you have a morse #2 taper, IIRC.
      >
      > Problem is that there aren't many small collet types for a morse #2
      taper.
      > Not ones that allow work to go thru via a tube.....
      >
      > You can get #2 morse taper collets from Victor etc, but they use a
      drawbar,
      > and have no thru hole. Still usable, but not as nice for lathes.
      My mill
      > uses them in the vertical head, and for that they are OK, just
      toolholding.

      > There are a number of obsolete watchmaker collets of good size, but
      they are
      > very hard to locate. Also slightly smaller "WW" collets which are still
      > used, but can be pricey. Very good variety, if you can stand the price.
      >
      > JT
      >

      > --
      02/28/2007 4:09 PM

    • azbruno
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerdal" <jerdal@...> wrote:

        > But you have a morse #2 taper, IIRC.
        >
        > Problem is that there aren't many small collet types for a morse #2
        taper.
        > Not ones that allow work to go thru via a tube.....
        >
        > You can get #2 morse taper collets from Victor etc, but they use a
        drawbar,
        > and have no thru hole. Still usable, but not as nice for lathes.
        My mill
        > uses them in the vertical head, and for that they are OK, just
        toolholding.

        There are new Asian made ER-25 collet chucks now available for #2
        Morse Taper. I picked up a set for my Atlas 618. True, you can't pass
        stock through the headstock, but I can at least have collets up to 5/8".

        -Bruno
      • William Abernathy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
          First off, I want to welcome you to the Barker Horizontal Milling Machine Yahoo!
          very small group (not a whole lot of Barkers were made), but the users there are
          knowledgeable and supportive.

          Second, 3C collets are not the cheapest collets, but they're not the most
          expensive in the world either. You can acquire them on line from various
          sources. Off the top of my head, LitlleMachineshop.com stocks sets for $69.95 at
          <http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1991>. I
          don't know if you can buy them one at a time.

          As for the table drive, I have heard of pneumatically-actuated tables, but not
          hydraulic ones. The other two standard setups are a rack-and-pinion arrangement
          and the micrometer feed to which you are referring. Fortunately, the castings
          are quite open to the micrometer feed arrangement, and are ready to accept your
          shop-fabbed modifications.

          Concerning parts, as you have already discovered, Barker mills are no longer
          produced, the company was bought by Leland-Gifford, and I do not get the
          impression that Leland-Gifford are exactly jumping over the counter to support
          the product. On the bright side, if you cannot get a drawtube from L-G, at least
          you have a lathe and can make one!

          Best of luck, and I hope to see you soon in Barkerville. Though these machines
          are small, they are built like the proverbial brick outhouse, so once you get it
          running, it should be worth the effort.

          --William