Re: [atlas_craftsman] Intro...and chatter problem

  • Michael Fagan
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 3, 2007
      Yeah, separate from the chatter issue (which I'm sure the excellent combined
      knowledge of the group will be able to solve), I would recommend sourcing a
      much smaller chuck. Not necessarily smaller diameter, but thinner in
      particular. It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but I'd bet
      that your chuck is connected through a backplate, which adds over an inch or
      more to the overhang of the chuck, but isn't particularly rigid (compared to
      the chuck body itself). You want to look for an integral chuck, which has
      the threaded back let into the chuck. Much more manageable, particularly
      when getting the lathe running for the first time. For comparison, my 12"
      machine has several chucks, including two 6" 3-jaws, both integral, which
      are less than 2 1/2" or so thick. My 4-jaw (Enco special) has a separate
      bolted backplate and is well over 6" thick when completely assembled. I
      specifically checked for runout in the chuck to ensure reasonable parts and
      I wanted to make sure that the excess weight and lever arm wouldn't wear out
      my bearings faster. So far it has worked, but it is too soon to tell
      exactly how the various setups affect the machine.
      Hope this information helps figure out the problems
      Michael

      That setup you show..... With the huge chuck, very large jaws

    • jmartin957@aol.com
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 6, 2007
        In a message dated 2/6/07 10:00:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        elson@... writes:

        > I can't afford solid carbide boring bars, they run into the several
        > hundred $ each!
        >
        > Jon

        eBay

        Even some of the steel ones list for a hundred or more new, but I have gotten
        some pretty decent used ones on eBay. Don't think I've ever paid much more
        than a ten-spot for steel. If you can wait, you can probably find what you
        want in carbide -- especially in the larger sizes.

        John