Re: [atlas_craftsman] Intro...and chatter problem

  • jerdal
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 3, 2007
      And a further issue I forgot to mention.....

      That setup you show..... With the huge chuck, very large jaws, and the work
      sticking out.

      I looks like the work is at LEAST 4 or 5 spindle diameters out from the nose
      bearing. And it sticks beyond that distance. This is starting at the
      bearing face, and "measuring" (I had to estimate) to the middle of the work.

      Since the nose is 1", and the spindle is s little smaller, if that distance
      overall is 4", as it seems, you are a bit over 4 spindle diameters from the
      bearing.

      At that distance, with a lightweight machine, some chatter might be
      expected.

      I would advise a smaller and for sure THINNER chuck, or one with smaller
      jaws, at least, so the work can be closer to the nose bearing.

      JT

    • jmartin957@aol.com
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 6, 2007
        In a message dated 2/6/07 10:00:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        elson@... writes:

        > I can't afford solid carbide boring bars, they run into the several
        > hundred $ each!
        >
        > Jon

        eBay

        Even some of the steel ones list for a hundred or more new, but I have gotten
        some pretty decent used ones on eBay. Don't think I've ever paid much more
        than a ten-spot for steel. If you can wait, you can probably find what you
        want in carbide -- especially in the larger sizes.

        John