Quick change tool post

  • Gary Rutledge
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Concerning the quick change tool posts, is there an appreciable
      difference in quality or function between the piston/wedge types. I
      notice that the wedge type costs more usually, just don't know if it is
      worth the extra $ Thanks Gary Rutledge
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Gary Rutledge wrote:

        >Concerning the quick change tool posts, is there an appreciable
        >difference in quality or function between the piston/wedge types. I
        >notice that the wedge type costs more usually, just don't know if it is
        >worth the extra $

        I was VERY happy with my Phase-II piston post on my Atlas 10" and later a
        Craftsman 12". I now have a wedge-style post that was labeled "Dayton
        Electric
        Motor Co," but I strongly suspect that it is a Phase-II rebadged. I
        really don't
        notice a lot of difference. This one is a CXA size (Phase-II series
        250) on a Sheldon
        15" lathe, so I am not comparing apples to apples here. The CXA is
        about 3 times
        the size of the AXA-Series 100.

        So, on an Atlas-style machine, I really wouldn't pay extra for the
        wedge-style
        post. In a production shop, where you expect .0001" repeatability, it
        might make
        a difference, but most home shop types rarely make parts to that tolerance.
        I was never able to see any non-repeatability with the piston post, it must
        have been better than my technique.

        Jon
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          >Quick change tool post
          >Posted by: "Gary Rutledge" gary4321@... gary4321cnc
          >Mon Jan 1, 2007 12:22 am (PST)
          >Concerning the quick change tool posts, is there an appreciable
          >difference in quality or function between the piston/wedge types. I
          >notice that the wedge type costs more usually, just don't know if it is
          >worth the extra $ Thanks Gary Rutledge

          I have the Phase II AXA piston tool post and I would recommend the product, but I wish I had bought the wedge model.

          I have seen where the toolholder pivots on the piston. I was getting some chatter and took a closer look and the toolholder was rocking side to side. I suspect that since the wedge is holding across the entire toolholder and not just one central point, that it would reduce or minimize this.

          BTW, get more toolholders. It's not quick change if you have to keep changing the bits in the holder.

          Get the combo boring/turning holders. Only cost about $1 more and can take either round or square tools.

          Steve

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com