Motor Pulley for 12" Atlas Lathe

  • danaz.chandler
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hi folks...Happy New Year (almost)...I've been rebuilding my Craftsman
      Atlas 12" lathe (Motor on the rear, 3/8" bed, change gears). Got this
      in early December. Seems the motor pulley has been changed. I thought
      there was a two step pulley on the motor, but the one here is only one
      step. Sears part number is 9-428 or 10-428x. Of course Sears wants
      over $100 for it...Wonder if anyone could advise the pulley sizes.
      Seems that one could purchase this sort of thing easily, but I don't
      have any dimensions....Best of the Season! Dan Nelson.
    • Joe R
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
        I went through this exact thing when I got mine. I asked the pulley sizes and don't remember exactly what they were. I shopped around and got 2.5" and 4" pulleys and put then on the motor shaft with the set screw parts sticking outwards and the flat sides together. Works fine and the motor shaft was just long enough to completely extend through both pulleys. As I recall the smaller one was not exactly the original size but maybe someone can measure a original for you.

        Joe Romas

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
            Hi Joe

            The 9-428 has a ½ inch shaft hole and the 10-428 has a 5/8 hole size I
            believe. They show up on Ebay now and then and go for about $40 dollars.
            Sometimes they are still on a lathe motor someone is selling but the
            shipping kills you.

            Chris in Washington

            C/A 12” x 36
            101.7380 old lathe

            _____

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
              Thanks so far for the response on the pulley's. Looks like I need a
              measurement from an Atlas 12" lathe to decode all the data. So far I
              have: M6-429 fits a 6" lathe. 9-428 (1/2" shaft) is now crossed on
              the Sears Parts site as 10-428X (5/8" shaft maybe) and that these may
              be the same as the M6-248 pulley used on Atlas milling machines at
              www.atlasmachines.com. Good advice to just order two pulleys and put
              them on the motor shaft next to each other. Granger's has a good
              selection for L4 belts...But I want to be sure I can use the standard
              speed charts and so, if anyone could measure the OD of the two
              pulley's, I'd be set...Have a great new year. Dan Nelson..12x36
              101.07403.

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "atlasmachines"
              <hillsgun@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dan: I believe that that pulley was also used on the Atlas mill,
              and 6" lathe and that atlas only changed the prefix on the part
              number, altho I haven't gone out and measured them to be sure. The
              dimensions are posted on our website at www.atlasmachines.com under
              pulley dimensions. Good luck, Dan.

              12/30/2006 2:59 PM

            • kendall
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "danaz.chandler" <djn@...> wrote:

                > Hi folks...Happy New Year (almost)...I've been rebuilding my Craftsman
                > Atlas 12" lathe (Motor on the rear, 3/8" bed, change gears). Got this
                > in early December. Seems the motor pulley has been changed. I thought
                > there was a two step pulley on the motor, but the one here is only one
                > step. Sears part number is 9-428 or 10-428x. Of course Sears wants
                > over $100 for it...Wonder if anyone could advise the pulley sizes.
                > Seems that one could purchase this sort of thing easily, but I don't
                > have any dimensions....Best of the Season! Dan Nelson.

                This is odd, I have recieved several replies to prior messages, but
                none of them are appearing on the list.

                could anyone shed some light on that?

                Anyway Dan, I'm on the way out to the garage right now, so should
                have the measurements for you soon.
                hopefully they'll match up with the mills pulley, opens up another
                potential supply source!

                Ken.
              • kendall
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "kendall" <merc2dogs@...> wrote:

                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "danaz.chandler" <djn@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi folks...Happy New Year (almost)...I've been rebuilding my
                  Craftsman
                  > > Atlas 12" lathe (Motor on the rear, 3/8" bed, change gears). Got this
                  > > in early December. Seems the motor pulley has been changed.

                  Measurements I have are 2.5 inch on the od for the small, and 4.5
                  for the large pulley, the mating pulleys are 9.5 and 7.5 respectively,
                  so I'd assume that if you were to keep the same general ratio, you'd
                  be sitting good.

                  My lathe has a wimpy little 1/4 horse motor on it, so it's almost
                  exclusively run in low range, takes too long to spin up in high range,
                  thinking of pulling the 1/2 horse on the logan to mount on it so I
                  can use high range.

                  Ken.
                • danaz.chandler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                    Ken: Thanks for the measurements...I have located these at Grainger
                    and will put two pulleys on the motor shaft as: 3X900 2.5" x 1/2" and
                    3X912 4.5" x 1/2". On order. Delivered price was $17.72 including tax
                    and shipping! Happy New Year All! Dan Nelson in Chandler AZ...

                    wrote:

                    > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "kendall" <merc2dogs@>
                    wrote:

                    > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "danaz.chandler" <djn@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > Hi folks...Happy New Year (almost)...I've been rebuilding my
                    > Craftsman
                    > > > Atlas 12" lathe (Motor on the rear, 3/8" bed, change gears).
                    Got this
                    > > > in early December. Seems the motor pulley has been changed.
                    >

                    > Measurements I have are 2.5 inch on the od for the small, and 4.5
                    > for the large pulley, the mating pulleys are 9.5 and 7.5
                    respectively,
                    > so I'd assume that if you were to keep the same general ratio, you'd
                    > be sitting good.
                    >
                    > My lathe has a wimpy little 1/4 horse motor on it, so it's almost
                    > exclusively run in low range, takes too long to spin up in high
                    range,
                    > thinking of pulling the 1/2 horse on the logan to mount on it so I
                    > can use high range.
                    >
                    > Ken.

                  • Rexarino
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                      Interestingly, I measure 2" instead of 2.5" on the small pulley! The speed
                      chart on my lathe shows 164, 266, 418, 685 rpms when the belt is on the
                      smaller 2" motor pulley for direct (not backgear) drive. Does your speed
                      chart differ?

                      All the other dimensions agree, 4.5" pulley on the outside mating to a 7.5"
                      on the jack, the 2" mates to a 9.5"

                      My Craftsman came with a 3/4 hp motor, and it doesn't slow down very often -
                      but I don't do much in the high rpm ranges so I haven't really pushed it
                      hard.

                      rexarino

                      --
                      How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
                      - Benjamin Disraeli

                    • danaz.chandler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                        Hi..Thanks for the info...I don't have the actual pulley's, and rely
                        on info from the group. The speed chart is the usual one, but I don't
                        recall any pulley diameter's listed on it..Thanks. Dan

                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Rexarino <rexarino@...> wrote:

                        > Interestingly, I measure 2" instead of 2.5" on the small pulley!
                        The speed
                        > chart on my lathe shows 164, 266, 418, 685 rpms when the belt is on
                        the
                        > smaller 2" motor pulley for direct (not backgear) drive. Does your
                        speed
                        > chart differ?
                        >
                        > All the other dimensions agree, 4.5" pulley on the outside mating
                        to a 7.5"
                        > on the jack, the 2" mates to a 9.5"
                        >
                        > My Craftsman came with a 3/4 hp motor, and it doesn't slow down
                        very often -
                        > but I don't do much in the high rpm ranges so I haven't really
                        pushed it
                        > hard.
                        >
                        > rexarino
                        >
                        > On 12/31/06, kendall <merc2dogs@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "kendall" <merc2dogs@>
                        wrote:

                        > > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "danaz.chandler" <djn@>

                        > > Craftsman
                        Got this

                        > > Measurements I have are 2.5 inch on the od for the small, and
                        4.5
                        > > for the large pulley, the mating pulleys are 9.5 and 7.5
                        respectively,
                        > > so I'd assume that if you were to keep the same general ratio,
                        you'd
                        > > be sitting good.
                        > >
                        > > My lathe has a wimpy little 1/4 horse motor on it, so it's almost
                        > > exclusively run in low range, takes too long to spin up in high
                        range,
                        > > thinking of pulling the 1/2 horse on the logan to mount on it so I
                        > > can use high range.
                        > >
                        > > Ken.
                        > >

                        > --
                        > How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
                        > - Benjamin Disraeli

                      • Rexarino
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                          Dan, I wasn't clear enough. My speed chart doesn't show pulley dimensions
                          either. I measured the pulley as 2 inches, not 2.5 inches, with digital
                          calipers. It might cause different values on the speed chart, so I asked if
                          that was the speed chart that others had. I also thought you might want to
                          check your speed chart and correlate to the correct diameter pulley.

                          My lathe was produced in the 1960's, so is a reasonably late production
                          unit. I was curious if different components were used, and I wanted you to
                          know that there were apparently two different sizes of pulleys used.

                          rexarino

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                            rexarino: Hi..I did take your previous message alright...The one
                            pulley that was on my motor is a 2" one, so I'm covered...I have a
                            digital light beam tach and will measure the spindle speed when I re-
                            assemble the unit. I suspect the 2" diamter is the right one. Thanks
                            for circling back to double check! Best regards, Dan Nelson

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                              Dan,

                              I measured my original pulley on my 101.07380 earily C/A 12" with 3/8 bed
                              and 5/8 lead screw (Real earily) It is 2" on the small pulley being driven
                              by its 1/3 hp original motor.

                              Chris in Washington

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "danaz.chandler" <djn@...> wrote:

                                > Ken: Thanks for the measurements...I have located these at Grainger
                                > and will put two pulleys on the motor shaft as: 3X900 2.5" x 1/2" and
                                > 3X912 4.5" x 1/2". On order. Delivered price was $17.72 including tax
                                > and shipping! Happy New Year All! Dan Nelson in Chandler AZ...

                                Can't beat that price! happy to help.

                                Happy new year

                                Ken.
                              • kendall
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Rexarino <rexarino@...> wrote:

                                  > Interestingly, I measure 2" instead of 2.5" on the small pulley!
                                  The speed
                                  > chart on my lathe shows 164, 266, 418, 685 rpms when the belt is on the
                                  > smaller 2" motor pulley for direct (not backgear) drive. Does your
                                  speed
                                  > chart differ?
                                  >
                                  > All the other dimensions agree, 4.5" pulley on the outside mating
                                  to a 7.5"
                                  > on the jack, the 2" mates to a 9.5"
                                  >
                                  > My Craftsman came with a 3/4 hp motor, and it doesn't slow down very
                                  often -
                                  > but I don't do much in the high rpm ranges so I haven't really pushed it
                                  > hard.
                                  >
                                  > rexarino

                                  Interesting indeed, I'll have to look at my lathe, not sure what the
                                  speeds are for it.

                                  The only chart I have is on the gear cover, and haven't looked at
                                  that for speeds, so don't know if they are there.

                                  I haven't used high very often either, pretty much just to check
                                  function in the high range, it takes a while to spin up, but I had
                                  attributed that to a low power motor.
                                  If your 2" is correct for the lathes, it would balance my top speed a
                                  bit, and make the 1/4 horse more livable.

                                  I hadn't questioned it because the pulley and motor are of the same
                                  relative vintage as the lathe, leading me to believe that they were
                                  correct. Now you've got me wondering! No big deal for me, I'm
                                  comfortable with the speed range I have, but if someone were looking
                                  for the 'correct' setup I wouldn't want to steer them wrong.

                                  Hopefully if it is critical, Dan can find out in time to change his
                                  order if it's needed.

                                  Ken.
                                • Rexarino
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                                    Ken, if it was warm, and I was wanting to be in the shop, and... all sorts
                                    of things happened, I'd compute the speed from the diameters of the pulleys
                                    I have, and compare it to the chart - - but that "ain't gonna happen"
                                    {grin}. I'll just live in blissful ignorance, and chage belt until it
                                    'sounds right'.

                                    Happy New Year to everyone!!!