Re: Atlas drill grinder 2915

  • n5kzw
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
      Thanks for the link, Joe. It certainly isn't a General. It looks
      like it could be quite very useful if you could figure out the
      adjustments. Good luck.

      Regards,
      Ed

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "wileecoyote1301"
      <wileecoyote1301@...> wrote:

      > Ed, this is the link where you can download a PDF of the 1952 Atlas
      > catalog which shows the drill grinder on pages 23 and 27.
      > http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDetail.asp?ID=51&PubID=1958
      > There are a couple of other Atlas catalogs on their site which also
      > show the drill grinder. The 1949 catalog lists it as a No. W30. I
      > have seen one grinder made by General but it does not look anything
      > like the Atlas. I tried using the Atlas this weekend and was able to
      > sharpen a bit but I don't think I am getting the proper lip clearence
      > as it took at lot of pressure to drill a hole. It was pretty easy to
      > make the lips identical but I will need more practice to get more lip
      > clearence. Fortunately I have lots of dull bits to practice on.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Joe
      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Joe, could you post a link to the specific page on the owwm site? I
      > > looked there, but could not find the grinder. The drill grinder
      > > sounds a little bit like the ubiquitous grinder made by General et
      > al.
      > > If it is, I can probably hunt up a set of instructions somewhere.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Ed
      > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "wileecoyote1301"
      > > <wileecoyote1301@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dave, thanks I will check it out. I would like to hear from
      > someone
      > > > who has used it to determine if it would be worthwhile buying the
      > > > manual. Being on the cheap side I would hate to buy the manual
      > and
      > > > find out it doesn't do a decent job. I did find a picture of it
      > on
      > > > the Old woodworking machine site www.owwm.com they have a few of
      > the
      > > > Atlas catalogs in their archive.
      > > > Joe

    • EARL BOWER
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
        Did you try Atlas.

        They have quite a few manuals/pricelists for most of their products. They have been trying to supply parts for most of the products.

        Email jolds@atlas_press.com

        and ask if they have a manual. It will depend on the size but sometimes there is only a couple of bucks plus first class postage.

        You can also go to their web site and request prices and availability.

        www.atlas_press.com

        Earl Bower
        www.bowermachineandtool.com

        wrote:

        > Ed, this is the link where you can download a PDF of the 1952 Atlas
        > catalog which shows the drill grinder on pages 23 and 27.
        > http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDetail.asp?ID=51&PubID=1958
        > There are a couple of other Atlas catalogs on their site which also
        > show the drill grinder. The 1949 catalog lists it as a No. W30. I
        > have seen one grinder made by General but it does not look anything
        > like the Atlas. I tried using the Atlas this weekend and was able to
        > sharpen a bit but I don't think I am getting the proper lip clearence
        > as it took at lot of pressure to drill a hole. It was pretty easy to
        > make the lips identical but I will need more practice to get more lip
        > clearence. Fortunately I have lots of dull bits to practice on.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Joe

        > > > Joe

      • jeworman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
          <wileecoyote1301@...> wrote:

          > Ed, this is the link where you can download a PDF of the 1952 Atlas
          > catalog which shows the drill grinder on pages 23 and 27.
          > http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDetail.asp?ID=51&PubID=1958
          > There are a couple of other Atlas catalogs on their site which also
          > show the drill grinder. The 1949 catalog lists it as a No. W30. I
          > have seen one grinder made by General but it does not look anything
          > like the Atlas. I tried using the Atlas this weekend and was able to
          > sharpen a bit but I don't think I am getting the proper lip clearence
          > as it took at lot of pressure to drill a hole. It was pretty easy to
          > make the lips identical but I will need more practice to get more lip
          > clearence. Fortunately I have lots of dull bits to practice on.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Joe

          This is interesting. I looked at the pictures of the 'Atlas' drill
          sharpener and it looks identical to a 'Delta' drill sharpener from
          years ago.

          I have a Delta catalog dated around 1975 showing the sharpener as
          being for sale.

          Not only do I have the catalog, I have a sharpener. I'm not sure now
          if it's a Delta or not. I always assumed it was. I wonder if others
          besides Delta and Atlas made and sold it?

          The sharpener I have has a flat mounting bracket that slides into a
          slot on my Delta grinder. It fits great, but I will confess, I
          haven't used the sharpener yet.

          I also have a copy of the instruction manual. I really mean 'copy'.
          It looks like about a third generation copy. It's readable, but the
          pictures are pretty grim.

          If there is any interest, I can try to scan the manual into a .jpg
          file. I think there are about 5 pages.

          John
        • wileecoyote1301
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
            John that would be great if you could make a copy. You can either
            email it to me or post it on the site.