12" lathe

  • JACK SIMS
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
      I have a Craftsman / Atlas 12 x 36" lathe and the left gear change
      lever is stuck and I can't see anything holding it, does anyone know
      what might be wrong.

      Thank you

      Jack
    • Richard Schaal
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
        Some questions, 'cause the real experts would probably need more context.

        1. Did it ever work?
        2. If #1 is yes, then what were you doing when it stopped?
        3. If #1 is no, how rusted/coroded is it?
        4. Are we talking about the left QC handle, or some other left hand lever?
        5. Did you take it apart or try to put it together recently?
        6. What color is it?
        7. Do you have any other bad habits besides the lathe?
        8. What is your serial number? Actually, the lathe serial number... :-)
        9. Does anything else work ok?
        9a. Ok Forward? or Ok Backward?
        9b. Anything else broken or not working?
        10. Is it plugged in?

        Answer all these, and the experts will have an answer for you in a jiffy. ;-)

        --- JACK SIMS <JACK-BR549@...> wrote:

        > I have a Craftsman / Atlas 12 x 36" lathe and the left gear change
        > lever is stuck and I can't see anything holding it, does anyone know
        > what might be wrong.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Jack

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Michael Fagan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
          Excellent assessment, Richard
          If it were a car, the equivalent to #10 would be "Is there gas in the tank?"
          This question was definitely tossed around the shop when the project car was
          started recently. Several gallons later and it was purring happily.
          Michael :-)

          --
          "To go where no [sane] man has gone before"

        • Buckshot
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
            Jack,

            What do you mean by stuck?

            Detent lock won't release by pulling on the handle?

            Won't drop down in to shift position after unlocked?

            Won't slide sideways after dropping down into shift position?

            Buckshot

            >I have a Craftsman / Atlas 12 x 36" lathe and the left gear change
            > lever is stuck and I can't see anything holding it, does anyone know
            > what might be wrong.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Jack

            > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • warrengrant
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
              Although I'm still trying to get my 101 going, I've been looking for a bigger lather with a power cross feed and quick change. I've found several but they are too far away to go pick up and shipping is expensive. I've looked at the Bolton lathes but am not sure they are all that well made. Does anyone have a lead on a lathe in the SE US that is for sale and not a piece of junk?
              When I get mine going I will post a picture of it. Right now I'm just waiting on the screw. I've already replaced the bushing in the head stock and found a motor for it. Only one tool holder for the 3/16" bit, but I intend to make one like I've been reading about. It seems to be in pretty decent shape as the lead screw and half nut look good. Also found a thread dial gauge for it and put a couple new three spoke wheels on it as one was broke when shipped to me.