Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: headstock bearing replacement

  • LouD31M066@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2006
      For the most part bearing pricing is a function of volume and
      competition....unique items available from a single source tend to be at the high end of
      range while garden variety available from several sources tend to be modestly
      priced. Bearing supplier makes more
      profit selling a quantity of modestly priced bearings and carries the
      oddball rare items
      only as a service to their customers who might need one once every couple of
      decades.
      Louis

    • Jim Bosley
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
        Lucas,

        At $42, I hope you bought two sets! I can't explain the difference,
        either. There are a signficant range of prices (I found a part for my
        hot-tub pump ranged from $109 to $13 depending upon whom on the
        internet that I bought it from).

        Different companies price differently according to business model and
        market conditions. Some price high and expect low volume, high
        margin. Some price low and expect high volume on a low margin. Some
        folks (mostly naive or overly hopeful ebay newbies) price ridiculously
        high or low. Like the South Bend Heavy Ten that went a few weeks ago
        for a buy-it-new price of $300.

        For Timken bearings the "A" suffix means different OD/ID or roller
        complement. "B" means flanged, so your lathe may use retaining rings
        or a different bore/shoulder configuration I guess.

        Thanks for the lead about EB Atmus. I plan to reassemble my lathe
        after cleaning and and painting to see what my runout looks like
        before I pop for new bearings. In case others would find it useful:
        http://www.ebatmus.com/ is the link for this Springfield, Mass,
        company (I have no affiliation with them).

        Best,

        Jim

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Lucas Thompson"