Re: Bolt Removal

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 30, 2006
      > This was a security lug bolt and no key, not even a FROZEN bolt, and
      > certainly
      > not a sheared-off one, at least not yet.

      My bet is the last time the tires were rotated, the guy kept the key.
      That has hapend to me more times than I can count.

      one time, they called me asking for it. I told them they had it from
      last year ! yup, they 'found' it.

      There are stud removers. a bore with tapered ridges. you hammer them
      onto the thing and they twist off by cutting into the metal. that
      would be a part found at SEARS. 00946338000

      Another way is to weld a nut or bolt onto the thing and remove that way.

      In this case, I would turn (notice how I'm bringing this on-topic?) a
      sleeve that would also be fitted with some method of clamping the thing.

      the center would have a hole for a 1/4" drill bit.

      then I would drill out the works, all the way.

      then enlarge the hole until I drilled the threads out of the nut. you
      can easily get new studs, so that what I would expect to do anyway.

      Messy, but getting that hole centered is critical.

      Dave
    • n5kzw
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 2, 2006
        I hope you never owned a Fiat. Not only were most of the parts only
        available from the dealer, the tools to get them in and out were also
        only available from the dealer!

        Regards,
        Ed

        <SNIP>