Bolt Removal

  • fredshark@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 29 11:05 AM
      I would like to draw upon the experience of the membership for a problem I am having with bolt removal. I purchased a bolt/screw removal set from Lowes and it doesn't seem to be working out. It is of the style where you drill a hole into the bolt and then remove the bolt with a tool that looks like a tapered reamer.

      The problem I am experiencing is that the tool is doing more reaming than grabbing and removing. To give you background into the problem, my daughter has lost the key to her locking lug bolts (Volkswagens have lug bolts, not lug nuts). I have worn out several drill bits drilling into the hard steel lug lock, but now the bold remover doesn't grab well enough into the hold to loosen the bolt.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Jeffrey Walsh
    • n5kzw
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 2, 2006
        I hope you never owned a Fiat. Not only were most of the parts only
        available from the dealer, the tools to get them in and out were also
        only available from the dealer!

        Regards,
        Ed

        <SNIP>