identifying a lathe

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have no knowledge on how to identify an Atlas lathe, but I can
      describe it.

      it is all metal and painted blue. that is not the original color.

      (sorry couldn't resist from the other thread)

      Anyway, 12 inch Atlas, single lever gear change, I assume there is a
      hi/low or some other range setting.

      inverted Vee ways, tail stock with a captive wrench that tilts up to
      ratchet.

      the unit looks like it has an original chip pan, full length, park
      bench legs, Not an under cabinet.

      The top of the lathe has a pull knob as a handle to lift up to change
      the Vee belts.

      I looked on the UK lathe site and it does not look like the 12 they
      have there. that one has a recessed butt end of the spindle and a
      double lever quick change gear set.

      Sorry, no pictures as yet. it is under a tarp in a friends horse
      trailer this week.

      another question is the lever on the far side of the chuck. it seems
      to lock the spindle, but I don't see much else it does.

      Dave
    • Michael Fagan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
        Are you sure it's atlas? As far as I know there were no atlas machines made
        with vee ways. The Atlas machines were still flat ways long after many
        other companies had moved to vee. It is possible that it could be an atlas
        headstock attached to another companies ways. I would be interested in
        seeing a picture of this machine.
        Michael

        --
        "To go where no [sane] man has gone before"

      • speedphoto300
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
          For a (short) while some Clausing lathes were sold with the Atlas
          name on them, the result is a few v-way machines labeled as Atlas.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
            Ah. Good to know. So this machine could be a Clausing/Atlas. Hmm.
            Thanks for the clarification
            Michael

            --
            "To go where no [sane] man has gone before"

          • mertbaker
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
              That lever on the far side of the chuck is pehaps to engage the back gears?
              That would indeed lock the spindle if the bull gear pin is in.
              Mert

              MertBaker@...
              > I have no knowledge on how to identify an Atlas lathe, but I can
              > describe it.
              >
              > it is all metal and painted blue. that is not the original color.
              >
              > (sorry couldn't resist from the other thread)
              >
              > Anyway, 12 inch Atlas, single lever gear change, I assume there is a
              > hi/low or some other range setting.
              >
              > inverted Vee ways, tail stock with a captive wrench that tilts up to
              > ratchet.
              >
              > the unit looks like it has an original chip pan, full length, park
              > bench legs, Not an under cabinet.
              >
              > The top of the lathe has a pull knob as a handle to lift up to change
              > the Vee belts.
              >
              > I looked on the UK lathe site and it does not look like the 12 they
              > have there. that one has a recessed butt end of the spindle and a
              > double lever quick change gear set.
              >
              > Sorry, no pictures as yet. it is under a tarp in a friends horse
              > trailer this week.
              >
              > another question is the lever on the far side of the chuck. it seems
              > to lock the spindle, but I don't see much else it does.
              >

              > Dave

              > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dave Mucha
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@...> wrote:

                > That lever on the far side of the chuck is pehaps to engage the back
                gears?
                > That would indeed lock the spindle if the bull gear pin is in.
                > Mert

                Man do I look stupid. or as Homer Simpson would say, Du-oh !

                Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Dave Mucha wrote:

                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >I have no knowledge on how to identify an Atlas lathe, but I can
                  >describe it.
                  >
                  >it is all metal and painted blue. that is not the original color.
                  >
                  >(sorry couldn't resist from the other thread)
                  >
                  >Anyway, 12 inch Atlas, single lever gear change, I assume there is a
                  >hi/low or some other range setting.
                  >
                  >inverted Vee ways, tail stock with a captive wrench that tilts up to
                  >ratchet.

                  This is not an Atlas lathe. Sometime in the 1950's, right after Atlas
                  bought
                  Clausing, there was some confusion on what to brand the different product
                  lines. So, for a year or so, Craftsman industrial lathes were branded
                  with the
                  Atlas logo, until they realized this was hurting sales. Industrial
                  buyers wanted
                  those "real" Clausing lathes, and refused the identical machine with the
                  Atlas
                  logo.

                  >the unit looks like it has an original chip pan, full length, park
                  >bench legs, Not an under cabinet.
                  >
                  >The top of the lathe has a pull knob as a handle to lift up to change
                  >the Vee belts.
                  >
                  >I looked on the UK lathe site and it does not look like the 12 they
                  >have there. that one has a recessed butt end of the spindle and a
                  >double lever quick change gear set.

                  The inverted Vee ways are a dead giveaway it is not an Atlas. If it
                  actually
                  bears the Atlas logo, then it is a Clausing - a much better lathe.

                  >another question is the lever on the far side of the chuck. it seems
                  >to lock the spindle, but I don't see much else it does.

                  That is probably ther back gear, for low speed operation. You probably need
                  to disengage a direct drive pin somewhere, that part sounds much like the
                  Atlas.

                  Jon
                • Dave Mucha
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                    > This is not an Atlas lathe. Sometime in the 1950's, right after Atlas
                    > bought
                    > Clausing, there was some confusion on what to brand the different
                    product
                    > lines. So, for a year or so, Craftsman industrial lathes were branded
                    > with the
                    > Atlas logo, until they realized this was hurting sales. Industrial
                    > buyers wanted
                    > those "real" Clausing lathes, and refused the identical machine with
                    the
                    > Atlas
                    > logo.

                    I guess that some photos are in order then. Shame it is painted blue
                    with a brush. Funny, but they only painted the top parts you can see.
                    the underneith is (probably) the oritional.

                    I am wondering if the headstock is Timken bearings or something else.

                    Dave
                  • jdmichael2001
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                      Jon,

                      I've not verified this on a particular Atlas badged Clausing lathe
                      that I know of, but the owner says there's a clutch/brake lever which
                      might be the item of interest. On his, the brake had been
                      disassembled by the PO, and while he has the replacement parts he has
                      not yet implemented the brake.

                      Jan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                        Dave Mucha wrote:

                        >>This is not an Atlas lathe. Sometime in the 1950's, right after Atlas
                        >>bought
                        >>Clausing, there was some confusion on what to brand the different
                        >>

                        >product
                        >

                        >>lines. So, for a year or so, Craftsman industrial lathes were branded
                        >>with the
                        >>Atlas logo, until they realized this was hurting sales. Industrial
                        >>buyers wanted
                        >>those "real" Clausing lathes, and refused the identical machine with
                        >>

                        >the
                        >

                        >>Atlas
                        >>logo.
                        >>

                        >I guess that some photos are in order then. Shame it is painted blue
                        >with a brush. Funny, but they only painted the top parts you can see.
                        >the underneith is (probably) the oritional.
                        >
                        >I am wondering if the headstock is Timken bearings or something else.

                        I'm pretty sure it is either Timken or angular contact ball bearing.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                          jdmichael2001 wrote:

                          >Jon,
                          >
                          >I've not verified this on a particular Atlas badged Clausing lathe
                          >that I know of, but the owner says there's a clutch/brake lever which
                          >might be the item of interest. On his, the brake had been
                          >disassembled by the PO, and while he has the replacement parts he has
                          >not yet implemented the brake.

                          Yup, the higher-end machines usually have this, but it is controlled by
                          a shaft
                          that runs parallel to the leadscrew, and operated by a lever at the
                          right side of the
                          apron.

                          Jon
                        • Dave Mucha
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 3, 2006
                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                            > jdmichael2001 wrote:
                            >
                            > >Jon,
                            > >
                            > >I've not verified this on a particular Atlas badged Clausing lathe
                            > >that I know of, but the owner says there's a clutch/brake lever which
                            > >might be the item of interest. On his, the brake had been
                            > >disassembled by the PO, and while he has the replacement parts he has
                            > >not yet implemented the brake.
                            > >

                            > Yup, the higher-end machines usually have this, but it is controlled by
                            > a shaft
                            > that runs parallel to the leadscrew, and operated by a lever at the
                            > right side of the
                            > apron.
                            >
                            > Jon

                            I am used to a foot brake also, that is a bar the length of the ways.
                            I guess once you get into the bigger machines, the features just keep
                            showing up.

                            Dave
                          • jdmichael2001
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 4, 2006
                              My unsystematic and unprofessional observations are that lathes usually
                              appear with increasingly sophisticated features in this order. At the
                              first level, feeds and threading are both done by a leadscrew with a
                              keyway. At the next level of quality, the leadscrew is used only for
                              threading, and a separate feed rod with keyway takes most of the wear.
                              (Two rods behind the apron). Another level up has a clutch/brake lever
                              on the apron which performs its functions via a third rod through the
                              apron.

                              The pictures I have of this lathe has only the single leadscrew. Would
                              a picture posted be any help with anything?