[atlas_craftsman] AA belt answer, other questions

  • J Tiers
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 1999
          Earlier on this bb someone asked about belts for the AA lathe. In case this is still of interest, Sears sells a belt for a lawnmower, part (71)33359, formerly #137078, which fits perfectly into the planetary back gear pulley. Length is not guaranteed to be right, that is per your setup, I made mine to fit the belt. Since I found it "on the rack", not by order, it likely is quite available.
          Someone was mentioning a countershaft arrangement. Mine has the planetary gears, which are horribly noisy. Was there a countershaft style? I have been considering putting one on mine just to quiet it down and also to get very slow speeds, is it worth the effort?.
          As far as quality of the lathe, I have determined that the main fatal flaw is the spindle, and more exactly the nose. There is hardly any metal there, and it flexes ferociously. I had been blaming the carriage, but that is only about 15-25% of the problem, it seems. Has anyone found any solution to the flex? I have been working on a 1"-10 tpi nosed replacement spindle, but it looks to be expensive unless I make it myself, which I don't have full facilities for.
      Thanks
      J Tiers

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman
    • David C. Rolley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 1999
        I'm in the process of converting my AA lathes back to the 1/2" x 20
        spindle from 1" x 10 shaft. The primary reason that I'm going backwards
        is the increased mass of the larger pieces (spindle and chucks) seem to
        make it easier to bend the small spindle since is is still only about
        1/2" in diameter. The reason I made the conversion in the first place
        was so I could use a 4" 3 jaw chuck that my wife gave me for Christmas.
        Since I can get good 3 and 4 jaw chucks from Sherline that are threaded
        for 1/2" x 20, I plan to get those instead. I really hate to say it,
        but if I need something larger, perhaps I need a larger lathe...

        I'll look, I think I may have a spare spindle that I made 15 or 20 years
        ago that has a 1" x 10 nose. I made 2 when I originally made the
        conversion and don't remember ever getting rid of the second one.

        Dave Rolley

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/atlas_craftsman