Re: Horz/vert saw

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
      All this talk about tooth count is making me think about my power hacksaw (well, it's also reminding me to make a dental appointment, as I'd like to keem MY tooth count where it is). The coarsest blades I can get is about 18 tooth. It does take a while to cut large stock, and the comments about clogging and tooth wear seem to fit what I'm seeing.

      The saw takes blades about 8" in length. I've just been breaking blades off to length and drilling a new hole.

      Does anyone have a source for really coarse hacksaw blades? Anyone carry them in short lengths instead of the standard 10" and 12"?

      What about buying several feet of bimetal bandsaw blade in a thickness similar to a hacksaws blade and cutting/drilling it to size myself? The saw holds the blade in tension, so I probably don't have to worry about the curvature of the blade, as it will straighten out.

      Steve

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Bob May
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
        I'd probably go for the bimetal blade material and punch holes as
        necessary. I may even build a jig so that I can punch the holes
        in a regular position each time. I'd also check to see what can
        be done with the machine to get the blade length longer.
        As to blades, I really haven't seen many coarser than 18 teeth
        per inch of length as this seems to be about the coarsest that
        cutting metals seems to want until you're running a large machine
        and large pieces to cut off. I'll also note that a 8" long blade
        will be hard put to do more than about 3" of cut which isn't that
        big but the machine goes so slow as it is spending 1/2 of the
        time just going backwards as well as the pause between forwards
        and backwards. I consider such machines to be obselete as they
        are just emulating the hand motion of a human rather than doing
        the cut in a much quicker machine method.
        Bob May
        bobmay at nethere.com
        http: slash /nav.to slash bobmay
        http: slash /bobmay dot astronomy.net
        Replace the obvious words with the proper character.
      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
          The big power hacksaws use really thick blades in comparison. like
          3/32 or 1/8 or so. and the blade is over an inch high. With those,
          you can get 4 TPI or finer. Of course, they are expensive, probably
          over $10.00 each. Not sure were, but J&L and MSC should have them.

          One note about them, the full blades make great knives if you grind
          them down. for the bi-metal ones, you can't grind a curve or you
          grind away all the bi-metal.

          One great thing about power hacksaws is the power, another is the low
          cost of blades as compared to band-saws. Remember, these are often
          for huge pieces of metal, 8 and 10 inch stuff, not the 2 and 3 inch
          stuff we use the small saws for.

          I think there is a place where a power hacksaw is perfect, but alas,
          the cost of a small bandsaw is so low as to make the power hacksaw not
          as desirable in a small shop.

          As for power anything, it is a blessing when you don't have to do the
          work. Even if it is half the speed of a human powered device.

          Like someone else said, it is great when you can put a part on the
          saw, then go work on another part in the lathe. I've been known to
          have a part in the saw, a part in the lathe and one in the drill press
          all at the same time. : )

          Dave

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
            >From: "Bob May" bobmay@...
            >Subject: Re: Horz/vert saw
            >I'd probably go for the bimetal blade material and punch holes as
            >necessary. I may even build a jig so that I can punch the holes
            >in a regular position each time.

            Thanks. Like the idea of a jig.

            >I'd also check to see what can
            >be done with the machine to get the blade length longer.

            The frame that holds the blade is a casting, so I can't easily make it longer. Besides, the stroke is only about 3" anyway.

            >I consider such machines to be obselete as they
            >are just emulating the hand motion of a human rather than doing
            >the cut in a much quicker machine method.
            >Bob May

            I just use it to saw things while I go do something else, so it is a net time saver for me. It even has a coolant tank and pump. Got the whole thing for $25.

            Steve

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com