Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Fenner belts

  • Hugh Prescott
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2006
      Motion Industries also stocks the Fenner belting suitable for 10 and 12
      inch atlas/craftman lathes.

      Was just under $25 last year and was in stock. Nice when you break a
      belt in the middle of a project.

      If not in stock I think they can get it overnight.

      Hugh

      Steve wrote:

      >> From: "William Abernathy" > Date: Mon May 1, 2006 11:19pm(PDT)
      >>Subject: Fenner belts
      >>
      >>I'm getting ready to push the "buy" button on 5' of Fenner A4L linked v-belt for
      >>$26.20 at McMaster-Carr. This is to drive the headstock on my Atlas 10" and
      >>replace the lumpy, twisting, fraying cords that drive it today. I note that Enco
      >>has a very slightly better price if I'm willing to buy 25' of it (I'm not). Does
      >>anyone know of any better vendor out there for sub-25-foot lengths of Fenner
      >>linked belts before I buy, buy, buy?
      >>
      >>Thanks,
      >>
      >>--William A
      >>

      >William,
      >
      >Check out:
      >http://www.woodcraft.com/
      >
      >They sell them by the foot.
      >
      >Steve

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • vtdiy
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2006
        I just received a Harbor Freight link belt and put it on my Craftsman
        12 x 54" lathe. It appears to look and work the same as the McMaster
        link belt that I bought last year for the Atlas horizontal mill. The
        belts are different widths however -- the Harbor freight belt is
        available only in a 1/2" belt and the McMaster belt is available in a
        5/8". The pulleys on my mill are wider groove size than the pulleys on
        the lathe so I couldn't have used the HF belt on the mill. The mills
        seem to vary in pulley types.

        The smaller belt is more flexible -- probably only because it is a
        different sectional size, which I'm guessing is a good thing for these
        die-cast metal pulleys. These belts are harder and stiffer than rubber
        belts, though the jury is out about which is more abrasive, while the
        link belts are harder and segmented, rubber absorbs abrasive particles
        (dirt, dust, metal particles) -- a pencil eraser and rubber abrasive
        wheels work on this principle, and there is a fair amount of
        "squeegeeing" in a rubber belts path around a pulley, also supposedly
        more vibration. So hard to say which actually causes quicker pulley wear.

        I don't know if anyone has actually tested the wear characteristics
        long term on a zamak pulley of both types, properly tensioned etc. as
        opposed to simply holding a personal guess about it. It would be good
        to hear of an actual proper experimental test. I have disassembled my
        spindle on the mill before, and don't want to repeat that experience.
        I'm guessing the lathe is easier -- more room. But these link belts
        certainly make belt replacement a more reasonable exercise.

        Oh one difference -- the Mcmaster belts are garish pink (and quickly a
        dirty version of it), the Harbor freight ones are dark green. I like
        green better if that makes any difference!

        --Steve

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Mario L Vitale"
        <mariol.vitale@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        > I have seen a version of "link belt" for sale by Harbor Freight.
        It was
        > quite a bit cheaper (I think about $19 for 5') but have no idea if
        it is any
        > good.
        > Has anyone here ever gotten any from HF?
        >
        > Mario

      • Michael Fagan
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2006
          I use the link belting for my main motor pulleys (motor and countershaft)
          and have found that it significantly reduces vibration of the countershaft
          pulley (bushing is shot). It is also much harder and does not shred itself
          regularly like rubber belting used to.

          --
          "To go where no [sane] man has gone before"

        • Stanley, Joey
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
            Since no-one was able to help me with the Fenner belt sizing for my Atlas 10F, I did some research and found that I needed both belts to be 4L belts.

            I found these on eBay for a really good price
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320220958397&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

            and was going to order 7' from them, however, I was in the Austin Woodcrafter store and they had 4' lengths for $25. Ebay would have been less expensive but I would have had to wait till next weekend to play with them.

            Joey.

          • Jay Greer
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2008
              Joey,
              I have always had good luck by dealing directly with Fenner Drives.
              Jay Greer,
              Common Sense Boat & Tool Co.

            • jrvariel@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 17, 2010
                What size Fenner belt is best to use on an Atlas 10107301.
              • Joe R
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 18, 2010
                  The green belts that Harbor Freight sells are "Accu-Link" brand and are made
                  in the USA...
                  http://www.jasonindustrial.com/pdfs/catalogs/catalog_1.pdf

                  Top posting rules!!!

                  Joe

                  > On Jul 17, 2010, at 8:32 PM, Scott Henion wrote:
                  >
                  >>> We are talking an imported cheap fenner style belt but im happy
                  >>> with it.
                  >
                  > There are at least two domestic manufacturers.
                  >
                  > I don't know how many overseas manufacturers there are.

                  =======
                  http://www.pctools.com/
                  =======
                • James Rice
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 18, 2010
                    I use Fenner 3L link belts on my 7301.

                    I bought them on eBay from a guy who sells as Ohioblademan".

                    James