Metric Threading on a 12x36

  • r_corriveau
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2006
      I am a new owner, as of last week.

      Jumping the gun, I am trying to figure out how to make metric
      threads.

      I did the calculations and found the gear box settings in tpi which
      were close to the metric pitchs.

      For better accuracy I could use a 127T gear. Does anyone have any
      more info on this. Where does it get installed and with what other
      gear 120 or 100? Where can I get such gears? What are the specs of
      these gears? I have seen 14.5 degree pressure angle 16 pitch...

      If anyone has ever gone about this I would welcome any insite.

      If others are interested, speak up, I will share the solutions once
      I get through it all.

      Robert
    • jdmichael2001
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2006
        Robert,

        In the files section, there is a file Metric Threading.pdf which
        shows the gears required for cutting metric pitches with a QC
        gearbox. When I called Clausing a couple years ago, the gears sets
        were still available from them. Alternatively, you may find them
        with used tool vendors at model engineering shows as I have.

        As an alternative, a gentleman from the New England Model Engineering
        Society (NEMES) showed a device at the NAMES show which allowed him
        to cut more or less any thread using his standard gearbox and the
        usual halfnut procedure. He had built a small slide between the
        compound and crosslide which was parallel to the ways. This would
        allow the threading tool to be advanced or retarded relative to the
        leadscrew and saddle. A bellcrank arrangement with a small
        adjustable taper slide let him make any adjustment from a close
        standard thread. Of course the thread length he could cut was
        limited to about 3" and the absolute accuracy depended on his tweak
        setting, but it was an exceptionally clever solution.

        Jan Michael

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "r_corriveau"
        <r_corriveau@...> wrote:

        > I am a new owner, as of last week.
        >
        > Jumping the gun, I am trying to figure out how to make metric
        > threads.
        >
        > I did the calculations and found the gear box settings in tpi which
        > were close to the metric pitchs.
        >
        > For better accuracy I could use a 127T gear. Does anyone have any
        > more info on this. Where does it get installed and with what other
        > gear 120 or 100? Where can I get such gears? What are the specs
        of
        > these gears? I have seen 14.5 degree pressure angle 16 pitch...
        >
        > If anyone has ever gone about this I would welcome any insite.
        >
        > If others are interested, speak up, I will share the solutions once
        > I get through it all.
        >
        > Robert

      • William Abernathy
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2006
          One thing I haven't been able to figure: Are the metric threading pitches
          supplied by Atlas in the metric threading pdf accurate, or are they approximations?

          --William A.

          jdmichael2001 wrote:
          > Robert,
          >
          > In the files section, there is a file Metric Threading.pdf which
          > shows the gears required for cutting metric pitches with a QC
          > gearbox. When I called Clausing a couple years ago, the gears sets
          > were still available from them. Alternatively, you may find them
          > with used tool vendors at model engineering shows as I have.

          [snippage]

          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2006
            r_corriveau wrote:

            >I am a new owner, as of last week.
            >
            >Jumping the gun, I am trying to figure out how to make metric
            >threads.
            >
            >I did the calculations and found the gear box settings in tpi which
            >were close to the metric pitchs.
            >
            >For better accuracy I could use a 127T gear. Does anyone have any
            >more info on this. Where does it get installed and with what other
            >gear 120 or 100? Where can I get such gears? What are the specs of
            >these gears? I have seen 14.5 degree pressure angle 16 pitch...

            A 127 tooth gear in the same diametral pitch would be really big. What one
            could do is buy a set of 100 and 127 tooth gears in some smaller diametral
            pitch, and attach those to some gears in the the same pitch as the rest
            of the
            change gears, or just bore and slot them to fit on the same bushings as
            the rest
            of them. I don't think anyone has a ready-made set of gears that will
            just drop
            into the gear train. I'd check with such outfits as Boston Gear and SDP
            to see
            what they have.

            Jon
          • Al Basham
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2006
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                Jon.
                The Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables are usually
                available on the internet and are invaluable for any one, novice or
                experienced.
                I recommend that you buy one it will be well worth the money.
                Al Basham
              • LouD31M066@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                  Clausing Atlas still offers their "Manual of Lathe Operations." I suggest
                  anyone needing
                  a copy should take their trade to the folks who created. While you are at it
                  order an
                  Illustrated Parts List, Current Price List and Catalog...nominal cost.
                  Phone # (574) 533-0371
                  Those who sell publications no longer in print and out of copyright do a
                  service...
                  Those who sell publications currently in print and in copyright are
                  wrongfully taking
                  profit away from those who created the work.
                  I urge those who can not find a good used original to invest in a new
                  original.
                  Louis

                • Joe R
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                    This is a copyrighted booklet and the real thing is available directly from
                    Clausing. Why get a copy?
                    http://www.atlas-press.com/index.htm

                    Joe Romas

                    > The Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables are usually
                    > available on the internet and are invaluable for any one, novice or
                    > experienced.
                    > I recommend that you buy one it will be well worth the money.
                    > Al Basham

                    > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Michael Spivey
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                      Joe, It is not "copies" that I have seen on ebay but old bound originals.
                      I have seen photostats of the original parts lists and Sears owners
                      brochures. The books being sold are just old copies, usually from a used
                      bookstore.

                      Mike

                      > The Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables are usually
                      > available on the internet and are invaluable for any one, novice or
                      > experienced.
                      > I recommend that you buy one it will be well worth the money.
                      > Al Basham

                      > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Buckshot
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                        Al,

                        The Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables is available
                        directly from Atlas.

                        Since they are supporting us with parts we tend to support them by buying
                        their products and ignoring items of questionable provenance sold over the
                        net, often violating copyright laws since the original is till in print by
                        the original publisher.

                        Buckshot

                        > The Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables are usually
                        > available on the internet and are invaluable for any one, novice or
                        > experienced.
                        > I recommend that you buy one it will be well worth the money.
                        > Al Basham

                        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • r_corriveau
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                          Hello William,

                          I had a look, and of course it depends on your tolerance. For
                          example looking at the 1mm pitch, they say 0.03937, inverted gives
                          25.400051tpi. Lets see the real value should be 25.4000508 so error
                          is.... damm my calculator can't go that far... Um, I'd say its
                          accurate. Much better than the 2.4% error you get with using 26tpi

                          I guess I have to look for this gearset now...

                          Robert

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy
                          <william@...> wrote:

                          > One thing I haven't been able to figure: Are the metric threading
                          pitches
                          > supplied by Atlas in the metric threading pdf accurate, or are
                          they
                          approximations?

                          > --William A.
                        • jerdal
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                            > Hello William,
                            >
                            > I had a look, and of course it depends on your tolerance. For
                            > example looking at the 1mm pitch, they say 0.03937, inverted gives
                            > 25.400051tpi. Lets see the real value should be 25.4000508 so error
                            > is.... damm my calculator can't go that far... Um, I'd say its
                            > accurate. Much better than the 2.4% error you get with using 26tpi
                            >
                            > I guess I have to look for this gearset now...
                            >
                            > Robert

                            Actually, the official inch is now 25.4 mm.

                            For any practical threading of short threads, your basic error is already
                            far more than the decimals you quoted. That's just from wear and so forth
                            on your leadscrew. I can assure you of that without even seeing your
                            leadscrew. The frictional heat from using it will expand it more than
                            that...

                            Not to mention that starting with a 4 place number, you haven't any right to
                            derive a 9 place number from it............ which is pretty much the point
                            you were making.

                            Bottom line is that unless you are trying to make a metric leadscrew, you
                            will never discover the inaccuracies of most any of the reasonable
                            conversion gear sets.

                            JT

                          • dheylen dheylen
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                              HI Jon,
                              Buy a book without it your lathe is just a cutter! The
                              book is just as important as you lathe. Gear sets are
                              on ebay from time to time and you will need them too!
                              Have fun, Dewayne