Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: bed rails?

  • rick callicoat
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2006
      Thanks for the input! From what I have gleaned from web sites? the headstock looks like an early Atlas but I have found some old SouthBends that have the same distinctive "saddle" look to them?It is higher at on end of casting than the other.You never know until you ask!!Thats what I like about this forum! Somewhere someone knows the answer!! I am still looking for a number or numbers on this lathe.Thanks

      paul_probus <paul_probus@...> wrote: What size lathe is it? If it is a 6x18 it may still be a Craftsman,
      but an AA Craftsman lathe which I believe has the V-ways.

      Paul

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson wrote:

      > rick wrote:
      >
      > >I've noticed in most pics that the rails are flat on the lathes.
      The
      > >one I have is made with a trough? in the middle of the rail. Is
      this
      > >normal, or is this jerryrigged?Could this help me identify the
      > >model/year? or manufacturer? info appreciated?
      > >

      > If it has an upside-down Vee shape on one (or more) of the bed
      ways, it
      > is NOT an Atlas lathe. There are a number of other machines that
      can be
      > confused with the Atlas, but this detail would clearly show it as
      not being
      > an Atlas.
      >
      > If there is a trough cut between two flat and parallel ways (outer
      for the
      > carriage, inner for the tailstock) then it might be something
      someone did
      > during bed regrinding. As far as I know, Atlas never made them
      that way
      > from the factory.
      >
      > Jon

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jdmichael2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2006
        However, there are a few of those Clausing lathes with the inverted V-
        ways with the Atlas nameplate on them produced during that time just
        after Atlas bought Clausing and before they figured out that people
        looked for the Clausing name. I know someone who has one and it
        threw me for a while too.

        Jan M.