RE: [atlas_craftsman] Re: lathe base wheel/rim polishing

  • Adam Meister
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
      Not too far off from what I'm trying to do. I have three sets of snowflake
      wheels for my '78 Trans Am that I'd like to redo. I've seen hand polished
      wheels and they tend to be too shiny for my taste. I like the look of a
      freshly turned wheel, but I don't want to spend the $1000 to buy a set that
      have been done. That's another interesting idea for mounting the wheels for
      polishing though, it should work for my "used to be polished" Centerline
      wheels.

      >From: "KDSpriggs" <kdspriggs@...>
      >To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: lathe base wheel/rim polishing
      >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:38:55 -0000
      >
      >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "amsvette" <adamandjen@...>
      >wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey, a quick question for the mases. I have several sets of aluminum
      > > rims for my many project cars that all need polishing.
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas, or an I stuck with hand
      > > sanding and polishing?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Adam
      > >

      >Here is a possible idea. If you can come up with an old belt vee or
      >flat that would be long enough to go around the tire and down to an
      >electric motor with a pulley. The motor would only need to be mounted
      >on a board with enough weight to hold it it down. Use on front wheel
      >assuming rear wheel drive car. Jack the front wheel up far enough to
      >clear the floor. The wheel would not turn very fast with any pulley
      >that you are likely to come up for the motor. I have never tried this
      >and have no idea how it would work. I restored a 79 TA with the cast
      >honeycomb wheels I just polished them by hand. Lots of work.
      >

      >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
      >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
      >
      >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
      >
      >To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Adam Meister
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
        Well, I suppose while I'm at it I can make the car front wheel drive also!
        An all wheel drive Trans Am might be cool. I've considered using this idea
        as I've heard it works for re-doing Moon wheel discs, but I think I enjoy
        having all of my fingers attatched to my hands! I think I'll still try it
        before I start investing in any expensive parts for a machine that may not
        work.

        Adam

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
          BRUCE ROGERS wrote:

          >How about leaving the rims on the car, jacking up one wheel and putting the
          >car in gear. The lifted wheel will spin and you can polish it as it spins.
          >Now for the front end, that's a different story I suppose. ;-)

          Ohh, this reminds me of the "scroozler" or therabouts, for splitting logs.
          It was a huge wood-screw looking thing that you attached to a driving
          wheel like that, and you shoved logs against the point. I could think
          of about
          10 ways things could go wrong the first time I saw the picture in a
          magazine.
          Most of those involved a bloody mess. The rest had a guy chasing his
          car through
          a forest.

          On a practical note, differentials are not really made for having one wheel
          locked and the other wheel turning. The pinions turn really fast even at
          idle speed, and they are just iron on a steel pin.

          You could always jack up a front wheel and spin the tire with a motor.

          Jon
        • n5kzw
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
            Awhile back, there was a fellah around here that had himself a 4WD
            'Vette (Stingray). It was a pretty odd sight.

            Ed
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Meister"
            <adamandjen@...> wrote:

            > Well, I suppose while I'm at it I can make the car front wheel drive
            also!
            > An all wheel drive Trans Am might be cool. I've considered using
            this idea
            > as I've heard it works for re-doing Moon wheel discs, but I think I
            enjoy
            > having all of my fingers attatched to my hands! I think I'll still
            try it
            > before I start investing in any expensive parts for a machine that
            may not
            > work.
            >
            > Adam<SNIP>
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
              Im sorry for being a bit niave but have been following this link
              about restoring wheels and the grief thats involved with mounting
              the said wheels in the lathe and so forth.....

              But why has no-one thought of using an electric drill with polishing
              wheels....Its so easy and not expensive either. It eliminates the
              need to mount the wheels on a large lathe or adapt/create some sort
              of device to use whilst still on the vehicle. Depending on the
              desired finish, there's loads of different compound/mop combinations
              to choose from...all across the range from mega shiney to dull
              brushed type finish. To me its seems everyones ONLY looking ast the
              problem from an engineers point of view IMHO

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

              > Awhile back, there was a fellah around here that had himself a 4WD
              > 'Vette (Stingray). It was a pretty odd sight.
              >
              > Ed
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Meister"
              > <adamandjen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, I suppose while I'm at it I can make the car front wheel
              drive
              > also!
              > > An all wheel drive Trans Am might be cool. I've considered using
              > this idea
              > > as I've heard it works for re-doing Moon wheel discs, but I
              think I
              > enjoy
              > > having all of my fingers attatched to my hands! I think I'll
              still
              > try it
              > > before I start investing in any expensive parts for a machine
              that
              > may not
              > > work.
              > >
              > > Adam<SNIP>

            • Joe R
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                Here's how I did the mags on my son's 96 Cherokee.
                First I used BIX stripper to remove the remainder of the original clear
                coat.
                Then a wire brush on a drill to remove the corrosion.
                Next I used steel wool and sandpaper to get a uniform surface.
                Followed by PPG DX579 metal cleaner to get it ready for
                PPG501 Aluminum conditioner. That leaves a nice hue and modifies the surface
                to act as a primer.
                Last but not least I applied automotive clear coat with a hardener.
                They look fantastic!
                To keep it on topic, the jeep will carry his Craftsman 12 to it's new home!

                JoBo
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R" <jromas@...> wrote:
                  >Hi, I've posted a pic in the photos section to show what can be
                  done with mops and a drill. There's no need to rub down and if you
                  use the correct compound/mop combination then its possible to mirror
                  polish steel, so getting imperfections out of ali is no problem.
                  the wheel in the picture was full of turning marks from the original
                  manufacture but came out ok. Afterwards all it needs is some belgom
                  alu to keep it protected and shiney

                  Paul