Re: [atlas_craftsman] New to list

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2000
      spaco@... writes:

      << I don't have any experience with these 3 in 1 machines that seem to be
      based
      upon
      a lathe, but also function as drill press and vertical mill. >>
      Hate to be a killjoy, but when I wanted more swing than I had available on
      my 6 inch Atlas I sold the Atlas and bought a 12 inch Smithy combo lathe,
      mill, drill press etc. What a disapointment. For one thing no back gear,
      belts hard to change, no way to move the carrage except by hand cranking the
      lead screw (Does not have half nuts,
      When thread cutting you have to back out by reversing the motor)

      Now, I sold the Smithy and purchased a 9 inch Jet lathe, not in use as yet,
      but hope not to be disapointed in that one too.
      John Meacham
      Had both 6 and 12 inch Atlas and let them go. Color me stupid!
    • PIHPGS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2000
        Hi:
        with a little patience, a good atlas/craftman with proper tooling can almost
        duplicate anything you can imangine. this is not to say, you also need the
        toy's on the machine to do the job. on atlal, a milling attachement and a
        few other accessories will make you smile.

        the combos you refer to normaly have no horizontal swing so your work needs to
        be positioned in reference to drill/&/or/in line boring

        attachements are less exp than a whole new machine.

        my moto, get a base machine- aquire additional equipment and try to adapt
        all of your accessories so that they are interchangeble. lot or sole
        searching
        and head scratching but it does work. give a call if you are in need of an
        idea, if you can imagine it, we can do it.

        hope it all works:

        chuck
      • jts4545@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2000
          > In a message dated 6/4/00 9:39:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > spaco@... writes:
          >
          > << I don't have any experience with these 3 in 1 machines that seem to be
          > based
          > upon
          > a lathe, but also function as drill press and vertical mill. >>
          > Hate to be a killjoy, but when I wanted more swing than I had available
          on
          > my 6 inch Atlas I sold the Atlas and bought a 12 inch Smithy combo lathe,
          > mill, drill press etc. What a disapointment. For one thing no back gear,
          > belts hard to change, no way to move the carrage except by hand cranking
          the
          > lead screw (Does not have half nuts,
          > When thread cutting you have to back out by reversing the motor)
          >
          > Now, I sold the Smithy and purchased a 9 inch Jet lathe, not in use as
          yet,
          > but hope not to be disapointed in that one too.
          > John Meacham
          > Had both 6 and 12 inch Atlas and let them go. Color me stupid!

          > Remember the good 'ol days

          I saw the message from posted from spaco @... (John Meacham) and
          catboat15@... and can sympathise.
          From here on, subscribe to Home Shop Machinist magazine. There are reviews
          of some of the machines you discussed.

          It saved me from your mistake with the Smithy.>

          Another resource is the Lindsay book catalog. This is a goldmine of
          information you will need.

          Another important book is Machine Tool Reconditioning by R. F. Connelly.
          This picks up what Machinery's Handbook left out. You may have to order it
          special from a bookstore, but sometimes there is an ad in HSM where you can
          order it direct. It is well worth the price. You can see what is ahead
          before you get in too deep!

          With some of the low-grade machines coming in from China and Taiwan, you
          need these books to finish and adjust these machines!

          Good luck with the new model!

          J. Sprott

          NetZero - Defenders of the Free World