Quick change specs project

  • James Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006
      Just thought if anyone ever dedides to disassemble and clean their
      quick change gear box, it would be a great boon if they were to make
      mechanical drawings or even just dimensional locations of the shaft
      centers, diameters and gear specs Then the info could be stored in the
      archives here so some of us could more easily build our own.

      Would be a lot of work, but have huge value. Quickchanges go fro $500
      up on eBay these days.

      Jim in Maine
    • Buckshot
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006
        You can buy most of the same information from Atlas-Clausing.

        You could order a parts breakdown which would list the gears in the box and
        the ancillary equipment in one.

        IIRC the center distances of the shafts themselves can be determined without
        dis-assembling the gearbox.

        Buckshot

        > Just thought if anyone ever dedides to disassemble and clean their
        > quick change gear box, it would be a great boon if they were to make
        > mechanical drawings or even just dimensional locations of the shaft
        > centers, diameters and gear specs Then the info could be stored in the
        > archives here so some of us could more easily build our own.
        >
        > Would be a lot of work, but have huge value. Quickchanges go fro $500
        > up on eBay these days.
        >
        > Jim in Maine

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Fagan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006
          I'm not quite up to fully disassembling my QC but I wouldn't mind
          trying to take some measurements and make some drawings. As a side
          note, I would be interested to find out how much the whole set of
          gears would cost to buy from a manufacturer such as Boston Gear or
          Motion Industries. I would guess it would probably come close to
          $200-$300.

          --
          "To go where no [sane] man has gone before"
        • n8as1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
            In a message dated 2/27/2006 8:36:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            jc_davis@... writes:

            Just thought if anyone ever dedides to disassemble and clean their
            quick change gear box, it would be a great boon if they were to make
            mechanical drawings or even just dimensional locations of the shaft

            in case anyone is building one, i have a box full of 20 pitch gears up to
            around 40...new boston CI , & new steel , some used steel ....doesent look like
            i will ever fab one & its time to move out some of this stuff....
            best wishes
            docn8as