Re: Has anyone made a dial indicator mount to measure carriage travel?

  • Rob Peterson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2 4:19 PM
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dec071941" <dec071941@...>
      wrote:

      > I would like to make a clamp-mount for a dial indicator in order to
      > measure carriage travel. Measurements of the lathe show a problem
      > with clearance near the gearbox---namely, a 2" dial indicator will
      > be crushed when the carriage comes up close to the headstock. Since
      > the ways are flat, and there is only about .375 of clearance between
      > the edge of the way and rack, there isn't too much room to get a
      > good bite with a clamp. So....
      >
      > Has anyone done this as a project and come up with a nicely designed
      > holder? I figure it's worth asking so I don't reinvent the wheel.

      I'm planning on making a clamp that mounts on the ways to the right
      side of the saddle. The clamp will hold the body of a modified 6"
      dial caliper and the caliper slide will mount to the saddle. You
      could do the same thing with a clamp to hold a dial indicator. 2
      pieces of steel (one with an eye for the dial indicator), a couple of
      bolts for tapped holes in the bottom piece of steel and you're done.
      Very similar to the mounting bracket for the gear cover on the back
      way.

      Rob P.
    • Don Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6 3:24 AM
        --- dec071941 <dec071941@...> wrote:

        > I would like to make a clamp-mount for a dial
        > indicator in order to
        > measure carriage travel. Measurements of the lathe
        > show a problem
        > with clearance near the gearbox---namely, a 2" dial
        > indicator will
        > be crushed when the carriage comes up close to the
        > headstock. Since
        > the ways are flat, and there is only about .375 of
        > clearance between
        > the edge of the way and rack, there isn't too much
        > room to get a
        > good bite with a clamp. So....
        >
        > Has anyone done this as a project and come up with a
        > nicely designed
        > holder? I figure it's worth asking so I don't
        > reinvent the wheel.

        I have a very nice one that looks very simple to
        make....I bought it off eBay about 3 years ago from
        some guy that was making them at home and selling
        them....the dial indicator was included but I can`t
        remember what I paid for it....here are some
        photos...Don

        http://tinyurl.com/cp3bk

        http://tinyurl.com/9zm6g

        http://tinyurl.com/cwobo

        http://tinyurl.com/bx2su

        http://tinyurl.com/al7na

        http://tinyurl.com/ashe2

        http://tinyurl.com/8lj7g

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dec071941
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6 6:48 AM
          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Don Smith <airxxxwolf@...>
          wrote:

          > --- dec071941 <dec071941@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I would like to make a clamp-mount for a dial
          > > indicator in order to
          > > measure carriage travel. Measurements of the lathe
          > > show a problem
          > > with clearance near the gearbox---namely, a 2" dial
          > > indicator will
          > > be crushed when the carriage comes up close to the
          > > headstock. Since
          > > the ways are flat, and there is only about .375 of
          > > clearance between
          > > the edge of the way and rack, there isn't too much
          > > room to get a
          > > good bite with a clamp. So....
          > >
          > > Has anyone done this as a project and come up with a
          > > nicely designed
          > > holder? I figure it's worth asking so I don't
          > > reinvent the wheel.
          >
          > I have a very nice one that looks very simple to
          > make....I bought it off eBay about 3 years ago from
          > some guy that was making them at home and selling
          > them....the dial indicator was included but I can`t
          > remember what I paid for it....here are some
          > photos...Don
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/cp3bk
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/9zm6g
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/cwobo
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/bx2su
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/al7na
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/ashe2
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/8lj7g

          > My thanks to all who responded. There is definitely some good
          ideas in the postings. Thanks for the great pictures Don...I'm
          going to take a guess at the dimensions and whack one out
          (especially like the clearance grooves for the indicator faceplate).
        • Richard Schaal
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6 7:12 AM
            The dial indicator seems only to measure a relatively short distance - like
            maybe an inch. Are you sure you wouldn't rather adapt a 6" or 12" dial or
            digital caliper?

            - Richard

            --- dec071941 <dec071941@...> wrote:

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Don Smith <airxxxwolf@...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > --- dec071941 <dec071941@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I would like to make a clamp-mount for a dial
            > > > indicator in order to
            > > > measure carriage travel. Measurements of the lathe
            > > > show a problem
            > > > with clearance near the gearbox---namely, a 2" dial
            > > > indicator will
            > > > be crushed when the carriage comes up close to the
            > > > headstock. Since
            > > > the ways are flat, and there is only about .375 of
            > > > clearance between
            > > > the edge of the way and rack, there isn't too much
            > > > room to get a
            > > > good bite with a clamp. So....
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone done this as a project and come up with a
            > > > nicely designed
            > > > holder? I figure it's worth asking so I don't
            > > > reinvent the wheel.
            > >
            > > I have a very nice one that looks very simple to
            > > make....I bought it off eBay about 3 years ago from
            > > some guy that was making them at home and selling
            > > them....the dial indicator was included but I can`t
            > > remember what I paid for it....here are some
            > > photos...Don
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/cp3bk
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/9zm6g
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/cwobo
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/bx2su
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/al7na
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/ashe2
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/8lj7g

            > > My thanks to all who responded. There is definitely some good
            > ideas in the postings. Thanks for the great pictures Don...I'm
            > going to take a guess at the dimensions and whack one out
            > (especially like the clearance grooves for the indicator faceplate).

            > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dec071941
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6 8:12 AM
              Do you have any pictures of such a setup?

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Schaal
              <rschaal_95135@...> wrote:

              > The dial indicator seems only to measure a relatively short
              distance - like
              > maybe an inch. Are you sure you wouldn't rather adapt a 6" or 12"
              dial or
              > digital caliper?
              >
              > - Richard
              >
              > --- dec071941 <dec071941@...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Don Smith <airxxxwolf@>
              > > wrote:

              > > > I have a very nice one that looks very simple to
              > > > make....I bought it off eBay about 3 years ago from
              > > > some guy that was making them at home and selling
              > > > them....the dial indicator was included but I can`t
              > > > remember what I paid for it....here are some
              > > > photos...Don
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/cp3bk
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/9zm6g
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/cwobo
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/bx2su
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/al7na
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/ashe2
              > > >
              > > > http://tinyurl.com/8lj7g

              > > > My thanks to all who responded. There is definitely some good
              > > ideas in the postings. Thanks for the great pictures Don...I'm
              > > going to take a guess at the dimensions and whack one out
              > > (especially like the clearance grooves for the indicator
              faceplate).

              > > TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
              > >
              > > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
              > >
              > > To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or
              links
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Richard Schaal
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6 9:38 AM
                I have seen them, but I don't recall where. Perhaps you'll get more responses.
                All you need do in this group is tell them what you REALLY want.

                Basically, all you need is a digital caliper and clamps - one for each jaw of
                the caliper. - adapt one to clamp on the bed, and one to clamp onto the
                carriage.

                Maybe somebody else in the group saw and bookmarked the article...

                Try GOOGLE - I think I've looked up articles on this before.
                - Richard

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jerdal
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6 7:28 PM
                  I made one that takes either a dial indicator (which can measure up to about
                  4", depending on type), or a micrometer stop. I have used the stop most of
                  the time, actually, although I made it originally to hold an indicator.

                  A stop seems to work better than a dial most of the time.

                  JT

                • bdmail
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6 7:38 PM
                    Hey DEC,

                    I quickly milled a flat and added a 10-32 bolt to an Atlas Lathe Gear door
                    hinge mount.

                    This is for a 6 inch lathe, but the hinge mounts on all the atlas lathes
                    clamp to each other, and the others will work too.

                    Here are pics:

                    http://bernie.bizland.com/myftp/indicator-mount/P2060523.JPG
                    http://bernie.bizland.com/myftp/indicator-mount/P2060524.JPG

                    Bernie

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7 6:22 AM
                      Neat...good use for a hinge. I enjoy seeing something simple
                      recycled into a more useful part:)