Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: My first Question

  • gto69ra4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2006
      Can you elaborate on that? The motor doesn't have any gears.

      GTO(John)

      In a message dated 2/2/2006 5:44:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      bosipipes@... writes:
      OK!! I found it and it works great. However I find that I am missing
      a gear (not on the back gear) on the left side of the motor.

    • bdmail
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hello Kirk,

        I know you just got into this, but it really wouldn't be too hard to BUILD a
        taper attachment.

        I piece of hardened, chromed shaft from Grainger, or McMaster-Carr, a gear
        door hinge mount (buy these cheap whenever you can, they are useful for a
        lot of things) and a plate to measure your taper per foot.

        If I wanted one, I would make it first.

        I just posted plans I found once on my server:
        http://bernie.bizland.com/myftp/PM-taper_att.pdf

        Bernie

        > Hello to all. My Name Kirk Bosi From Manhattan IL. I just picked -up an
        > Atlas 10" Model TH54 It seems to be in great shape. I will be using
        > this machine for pipe making. Take a look Http://www.bosipipes.com.
        >
        > 1st-- Do you put the back gears in place while the lathe is on?
        > because when I set the back gears in place while the motor is off, and
        > than turn it on. Nothing moves.
        > 2nd-- You guys know where I can find a taper attachment?

      • Kirk Bosi
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
          Bernie
          I was going thru all the stuff I received from the Guy I bought this
          from. and I found a tapper attachment that is for a Craftsmen (Atlas)
          6in lathe that will work. I just need to change out one peice.
        • paul_probus
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2006
            What is a "gear door hinge mount"?

            Paul

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
              Hello Paul

              What I mean by the gear door is the door that covers the thread change
              gears.

              All the Atlas lathes (that I have seen) of all sizes have a hinge for that
              door that mounts on the back way of the lathe with clamps that look exactly
              like the original Atlas micrometer stop.

              With easy modification, one can make them into mounts for digital calipers,
              a dial indicator, micrometer stop, or whatever!

              I bought a bunch of them from a local guy with machine parts for a few bucks
              a piece since no-one ever seems to break them and need them.

              Cool resource. They mill beautifully, but are a little hard to tap since
              they are cast iron (I am quite sure)

              Bernie

              > What is a "gear door hinge mount"?
              >
              > Paul
              >
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, bdmail <bdmail@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hello Kirk,
              >>
              >> I know you just got into this, but it really wouldn't be too hard
              > to BUILD a
              >> taper attachment.
              >>
              >> I piece of hardened, chromed shaft from Grainger, or McMaster-
              > Carr, a gear
              >> door hinge mount (buy these cheap whenever you can, they are
              > useful for a
              >> lot of things) and a plate to measure your taper per foot.
              >>
              >> If I wanted one, I would make it first.
              >>
              >> I just posted plans I found once on my server:
              >> http://bernie.bizland.com/myftp/PM-taper_att.pdf
              >>

              >> Bernie

            • paul_probus
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                I had hoped that this was a part or something from McMaster-Carr or
                some other source. :)

                Thank you,