Craftsman 6" cut off tool

  • Marc Nichols
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      Where can I get a cut off tool holder for my 6" Craftsman lathe for the
      original tool post? I have been trying to use my quick change tool holder
      but there is too much flex in it for that process.

      Thanks

      Marc
    • bdmail
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Hello Marc,

        I can sell you one. I don't use it. It looks like new. It is the exact
        one for our 6 inch Atlas lathes.

        I will ship it to you Priority mail for $20 if you are interested.

        Bernie

        > Where can I get a cut off tool holder for my 6" Craftsman lathe for the
        > original tool post? I have been trying to use my quick change tool holder
        > but there is too much flex in it for that process.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Marc

      • Hank
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Marc,

          Bernie (last I knew) and I both use a QC toolpost (TSE,
          aluminum) on our 618s and I just did some cutoff work today
          in steel and it worked absolutely fine.

          Seems like some of the ingredients in using the cutoff tool
          successfully are running a slow spindle speed and making
          sure you're a hair below center.

          What material are you turning and are you talking about
          the cutting blade flexing or the tool block itself?

          Hank

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hank wrote:

            >Marc,
            >
            >Bernie (last I knew) and I both use a QC toolpost (TSE,
            >aluminum) on our 618s and I just did some cutoff work today
            >in steel and it worked absolutely fine.
            >
            >Seems like some of the ingredients in using the cutoff tool
            >successfully are running a slow spindle speed and making
            >sure you're a hair below center.
            >
            >What material are you turning and are you talking about
            >the cutting blade flexing or the tool block itself?
            >
            >Hank
            >

            >>I have been trying to use my quick change tool holder
            >>but there is too much flex in it for that process.

            One of the tricks is to grind the TOP of the cutoff tool into a
            slight Vee shape. This curls the chip inward as it rolls up,
            making the chips narrower than the groove. I do cutoff
            work fairly fast, often on the lowest direct-drive speed on the 10-12"
            Atlas.
            Especially on aluminum, I would only advance the crossslide about
            one turn before backing the cutter out and letting things cool. I
            would keep a toothbrush saturated with cutting oil in the groove
            all the time I was cutting.

            Jon
          • bdmail
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2006
              Which tool Holder do you have now? It takes some work, but I could part off
              1 inch drill rod and 2-inch steel (patiently) with my TS Engineering
              Toolpost.

              Are your gibs tight?

              Bernie

              > Where can I get a cut off tool holder for my 6" Craftsman lathe for the
              > original tool post? I have been trying to use my quick change tool holder
              > but there is too much flex in it for that process.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Marc

            • Hank
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2006
                >Speeds have been moderate, though I can't tell
                >you the speed.

                If you aren't using the back gear it's probably too fast. It's
                amazing how slowly the work can turn and have the parting tool
                advance right through the piece. Entirely different than
                turning. Jon mentioned how he uses a very slow speed, too.

                >Would also like to find a quality source for a cut off tool.
                >Presently, I am unable to resharpen bits and rely on removable
                >carbide tips for most of my work.

                Although I have carbide and HSS for turning, I only have HSS and
                cobalt parting blades. The narrower one (HSS) seems to work
                very well. It can't be more than 1/16 inch thick. How thick is
                your carbide cutter?

                Hank
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas618lathe/
                Yahoo Group just for 6" Atlas/Craftsman lathes