stuck backgear pin?

  • liftedlocked1
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2005
      I have been working on my new(to me) 10" atlas It sat in a closed
      nasty factory for 6 years and was pretty crusty. The backgear pin is
      "stuck" Looks like someone has already put pliers on it at some
      point. On my other lathe this pin is a 1/4 turn release. My atlas
      dosent appear to be a turner (since its not knurled) but judging from
      the grove I am assuming its a "pull out" It woudl be nice to know how
      to properly release it before I mess it up.
    • asharrownu
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
        Can't believe it would be stuck very solidly. I always use a screwdriver to
        pry mine out, BUT I wouldn't put much force on it, because the screwdriver
        is prying agains the flange of the pulley.

        Jim

        <liftedlocked1@y...> wrote:

        > I have been working on my new(to me) 10" atlas It sat in a closed
        > nasty factory for 6 years and was pretty crusty. The backgear pin is
        > "stuck" Looks like someone has already put pliers on it at some
        > point. On my other lathe this pin is a 1/4 turn release. My atlas
        > dosent appear to be a turner (since its not knurled) but judging from
        > the grove I am assuming its a "pull out" It woudl be nice to know how
        > to properly release it before I mess it up.

      • Dave Szilagy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
          i just recieved a 10" atlas-i have not tried the back gear relase pin.you mentioned in your e mail that the pin that is knurled needs to be turned 1/4 turn,could you explain that to me so i dont try to force mine and wreck it-dave

          asharrownu <jc_davis@...> wrote: Can't believe it would be stuck very solidly. I always use a screwdriver to

          wrote:

          > I have been working on my new(to me) 10" atlas It sat in a closed
          > nasty factory for 6 years and was pretty crusty. The backgear pin is
          > "stuck" Looks like someone has already put pliers on it at some
          > point. On my other lathe this pin is a 1/4 turn release. My atlas
          > dosent appear to be a turner (since its not knurled) but judging from
          > the grove I am assuming its a "pull out" It woudl be nice to know how
          > to properly release it before I mess it up.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • lockenut_ct
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            I had this exact same problem on my 10F. No matter what I did, I
            couldn't get it to release. The way I ultimately fixed it was to
            loosen all the setscrews in the gears to the left. As I started to
            wiggle the gears, the pin loosened right up and moved freely. To my
            surprise, I didn't have to move things much at all. After realigning
            everything and tightening it all up again, the pin works as it should.
            Hope this works for you as well. Good luck.
            Chris

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "liftedlocked1"