Re: Give The Rookie Some Advise

  • Dennis Pasek
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2005
      Nope, Sorry.

      This is an international standards definition, not semantics.
      You refer to the 1893 standard which was superseded in 1959. It is
      currently defined as "1 yard= 0.914 4 meter" which is 1 inch = 25.4 mm
      *exactly*. The old definition currently applies only to U.S.
      surveying measure and differs by about 2 ppm.

      Dennis

      See:
      http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PUBS_LIB/FedRegister/FRdoc59-5442.pdf

      ...excerpt... (Note the use of the word 'exact'.)

      Announcement. Effective July 1, 1959, all calibrations in the U.S.
      customary system of weights and measures carried out by the National
      Bureau of
      Standards will continue to be based upon metric measurement standards
      and, except those for the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey as noted
      below, will be
      made in terms of the following exact equivalents and appropriate
      multiples and submultiples:
      1 yard= 0.914 4 meter
      1 pound (avoirdupois)= 0.453 592 37 kilogram

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "asharrownu" <jc_davis@a...>
      wrote:

      > Amounts to semantics I guess, but no, there is no "exact ratio".
      It's a