Re: Aw Crap....did I break my tailstock?

  • azbruno
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
      Underneath the ram, at the front of the casting, there should be a
      small screw through the casting going into the keyway on the ram to
      keep the ram from spinning. Should be easy to fix.

      -Bruno

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "joegourlay" <jgourlay@m...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2005
        joegourlay wrote:

        >I have a live center in my tailstock. I did as the manual instructed
        >and turned the wheel counterclockwise to bottom it out. It should
        >have, but did not, eject the center.

        This is a common problem. Many live centers are too short for the
        end of the leadscrew to eject them. Many have a screw that plugs the
        grease port on the back. You can use a longer screw with a spacer to
        make the center long enough to eject properly.

        >Instead, the ram just rotates in the casting. Turning the wheel
        >clockwise will no longer extend the ram. What do I do?

        When you turn the handle, does the tailstock ram also rotate?
        If so, if you can get something to grip it with and keep it from
        rotating, it will come back out.

        There should be a small screw just below the ram that rides the
        keyway in the ram. If the ram has retracted past that screw, then
        it no longer keys the ram. If the screw has broken off, you may need
        to file the threads off 1/8" or so of a similar screw to make a new
        keying screw. That's a pretty common repair on the Atlas, too.

        Once you get the ram moving again, you can just wind it all the
        way out, and use a rod down the middle to tap the center loose.

        Jon
      • joegourlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          Jon, you were right on the money! I'm back up, thanks!

          I ended disassembling the whole take stock last night, cleaning,
          degreasing, and re-oiling everything. Fun.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
            joegourlay wrote:

            >Jon, you were right on the money! I'm back up, thanks!
            >
            >I ended disassembling the whole take stock last night, cleaning,
            >degreasing, and re-oiling everything. Fun.

            Good! I know this one, because I did the exact same thing on my Atlas,
            with the exact same short taper on the live center.