crossfeed?

  • jasongreat1
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2 3:16 PM
      Just a basic question from a novice. The crossfeed gear is stripped
      on my 10" atlas. At least I think it is since when I pull the knob
      nothing happens. My question is what do you use the crossfeed for?
      Can you cut tapers with it? Can you adjust the feed, or is it one
      speed?
    • Buckshot
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2 4:17 PM
        Jason,

        The cross feed is used for facing operations. It makes it easy to get a
        smooth finish cut across the face of a part.

        You adjust the speed of cut for facing just like you do the speed of cut for
        turning, you adjust the QC gearbox or change your gear train.

        If you look in your "Atlas Manual of Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables"
        book, it will tell you how to determine the speed and rate of feed for
        facing operations, just like it does for turning operations.

        It should also give you a ratio for facing versus turning for your lathe.
        Some are 1:1 and some are 2:1 depending on the lathe and drive setup you
        have.

        Buckshot