Re: [atlas_craftsman] What about a classified section?j

  • gto69ra4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
      The very fact that this is a specific-interest group makes for little actual
      machining questions. This may be the best circle for questions about Atlas and
      Craftsman machines. The details of restoring, working on, parts, etc. Any
      "brand" groups or message boards are like this. On the other hand, metalworking
      groups of a more general nature are likely to have more procedure information.
      A comparison might be that a message board devoted only to a specific model of
      gun might not have much hunting information.

      And, though I have the highest respect for almost everyone here, I'd guess
      that a sampling of Atlas owners would probably be less experienced than group
      drawn together by a broader interest. I certainly fall on the lower end of the
      hobby curve when it comes to machine hours.

      GTO(John)

      In a message dated 10/2/2005 1:01:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rschaal_95135@... writes:
      I can see where the bidders would like a smaller market of folks who know just
      about how much something is "really worth", but don't see any incentive for
      the
      sellers. This group is far too small to become its own economic "enterprise
      zone". I have only been a member for a relatively short time - less than a
      year, or getting close to a year now, but the strength of the group is in its
      expertise on how-to repair the lathe or recommendations on paint colors.

      I've also gotten useful advice on proposed projects - how to make your own
      boring bar holder, and the merits of silicon carbide vs diamond wheels for
      sharpening the carbide bits I'm using, but no detailed info on how the
      membership even uses their equipment. - I'd think the lack of a robust photo
      section is the main restriction here.

      Anybody reading this group for a few months, though, would figure this is the
      Atlas Fix or Restore group - but there's little info on cranking out your own
      critical parts before your lathe falls to pieces.

      I'd be really interested in how to make your own ACME tap so you could
      recreate
      your own half nuts or cross slide brass nut.

      So you bought your fully tweaked, spotless lathe with all original parts and
      superb paint job for only $150 from some great-grandson of a master machinist
      who only knew how to push buttons on his electronic toy... Great!, but what
      are you doing with it now?

      Just curious.

      Personally, I'm still learning how to make steel wool. :-)
      I'm getting better and better at reducing a 3" diameter piece to an inch, or
      boring bigger holes than my 1/2" drill will make.

      I did manage to plan out an arbor for the silicon carbide wheel I finally
      got.
      It's a ten inch diameter - 2 inch thick wheel with a center hole of 2". I
      made
      a two piece adaptor so I could mount this wheel on the spindle of my local
      wood
      lathe with a 3/4-16 threaded shaft. This became a race whether my carbide
      bits
      would become too abused/dulled to cut before the wheel was turning to sharpen
      them. I won. :-) The wood lathe was chosen 'cause you can't run a wheel that
      size through direct drive without putting your life in danger.

      - Richard

    • Jeff Allen
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi list,

        I'm new here and have lurked for the most part. E-bay is the place that
        sets prices on a lot of items in this day in age. I just bought my lathe
        there, and with shipping it was a little spendy. That's the real world.
        If you can't find it local you use E-bay and pay the price the market
        demands. That being said there is another option for local items. Google
        Craigslist and jump in. Free local internet ads and I've made some toy
        money in there. No fees and no shipping. I use both E-bay and Craigslist
        to buy and sell depending on the item.

        Jeff Allen

      • xlch58@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
          Generally, unless I know someone on this group who is a frequent poster
          and they need something in particular, I prefer to get the best money
          on Ebay. The exception is trade. I generally prefer trade to others on
          a group I know then ebay it, and have done so several times on this
          group. A year or so ago I traded a 6 inch milling attachment for a
          ten/twelve in miling attachment. All went well. Trading, or even
          selling to someone who is not a frequent poster ( and even if they are)
          has risks. Mitigating these risks is the whole point of the ebay
          feedback system. Even then on Ebay I got burned a year ago, though I
          honestly believe at this point the seller died.

          Charles

          Richard Schaal wrote:

          >I can see where the bidders would like a smaller market of folks who know just
          >about how much something is "really worth", but don't see any incentive for the
          >sellers. This group is far too small to become its own economic "enterprise
          >zone". I have only been a member for a relatively short time - less than a
          >year, or getting close to a year now, but the strength of the group is in its
          >expertise on how-to repair the lathe or recommendations on paint colors.
          >

          >- Richard
          >

          >--- wirewrkr <wirewrkr@...> wrote:
          >

          >>I have noticed a lot of us are seeking bits and pieces for our beloved
          >>lathes, and often fall prey to the auction block ( ebay). Due to some
          >>of us having more money and probably less sense than others, the
          >>bidding can get just rediculous. I just recently followed an auction
          >>for a complete quick change for my 10f, and decided I would spend no
          >>more than $400.00 on it, which normally is WAY out of my league, but I
          >>had the good luck to sell some other tools recently and ear-marked
          >>this little windfall for a QC box. THe bidding went to about $450.00
          >>or so!!! Un beleivable.
          >>ANYWAY, the point of all this, can we set up a classified section,
          >>much like the one on The OWWM.com? I'm not computer savvy, so if this
          >>seems like a dumb question, Tuff.
          >>Robert

        • f0rtjim
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2005
            How about if we list what we are bidding on at ebay? Then maybe
            other members would not try to outbid each other. I would not bid
            against a member of this list, if I knew it. We may be running up
            the price against each other.
            Jim

          • Bob May
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
              There lies a huge connundrum! If the item is listed by a member,
              you really want to give him a good price for the item while an
              item listed by a nonmember you really want to get it at the
              lowest possible price.
              Bob May
              bobmay at nethere.com
              http: slash /nav.to slash bobmay
              http: slash /bobmay dot astronomy.net
              Addresses have been munged up to keep spammers from bothering me.
              replace the obvious words with the proper character.
              Thank you for your understanding!