OT - odd 'spindle' thread

  • Jim Ash
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
      I've got an old Ellis dividing head without a chuck. When I take the calipers to the spindle thread on it, it looks like it's a 1 3/4" x 8 tpi. In my fooling with lathes, standardized spindle thread diameters have always gone from 1 1/2" to 2 1/4" (for non-metric equipment). I've never seen a 1 3/4" spindle thread, so I don't know where to get a chuck that fits it. Has anybody else? I suppose I could make a reducing adapter and mount one of my 1 1/2" x 8 chucks, or get a plain-backed chuck and machine up a blank backing plate. But I was hoping for a chuck that fits.

      Jim Ash
    • xlch58@swbell.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
        I have a 2 1/8" spindle on my sebastian. There are a lot of spindle
        threads. Some are just more common than others. As to the chuck, you
        will have to do it the same way as for a lathe, get a plain back chuck
        and a blank chuck backplate and machine it to fit. You might call
        Sobel, you might get lucky.

        Charles

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
          Jim Ash wrote:

          >I've got an old Ellis dividing head without a chuck. When I take the calipers to the spindle thread on it, it looks like it's a 1 3/4" x 8 tpi. In my fooling with lathes, standardized spindle thread diameters have always gone from 1 1/2" to 2 1/4" (for non-metric equipment). I've never seen a 1 3/4" spindle thread, so I don't know where to get a chuck that fits it. Has anybody else? I suppose I could make a reducing adapter and mount one of my 1 1/2" x 8 chucks, or get a plain-backed chuck and machine up a blank backing plate. But I was hoping for a chuck that fits.

          I have an unlabeled but very old dividing head with the same thread. I
          made a backing plate
          for it.

          Jon
        • LouD31M066@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
            Evolution of uniform standards from beginning of industrial revolution to
            present covers a fairly short period of human history, but, one of many changes
            both large and small. Despite the real advantages of a standardized system of
            threads and threaded products we have a ways
            to go yet to be all on one page (metric.) In the mean time we have leftover
            standards and
            nonstandard items of machinery, parts and fasteners. Adoption of news means
            you can find bargains on obsolete if you can use. Making a back plate seems
            like a reasonable cost solution. Last couple of decades has seen lots of
            manual machine
            tools (some small enough for hobby or small shop) become available because
            of automation
            and off shore production.
            Louis

          • n8as1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
              In a message dated 9/4/2005 11:18:51 AM Central Standard Time,
              elson@... writes:

              > Jim Ash wrote:
              >
              > >I've got an old Ellis dividing head without a chuck. When I take the
              > calipers to the spindle thread on it, it looks like it's a 1 3/4" x 8 tpi. In my
              > fooling with lathes, standardized spindle thread diameters have always gone
              > from 1 1/2" to 2 1/4" (for non-metric equipment). I've never seen a 1 3/4"
              > spindle thread, so I don't know

              My OLD B&S div. hd. takes a 1 3/4 x 5 b/plate ..........soooooo...make ur
              own.....

              if u need instruction , ask.....
              best wishes
              docn8as

            • n8as1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
                In a message dated 9/4/2005 11:42:50 AM Central Standard Time,
                LouD31M066@... writes:

                > Making a back plate seems
                > like a reasonable cost solution. Last couple of decades has seen lots of
                > manual machine

                check out victor machinery xchange ???? , i know it is victor ......for
                unfinished b/plates ,also wholesale tool co....pay close attn to dim. shown

                best wishes
                docn8as

              • Jim Ash
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
                  Dave Soble was running an ad for backplates a few months back . I'll give
                  him a call.

                  Jim Ash

                  At 9/4/2005 08:56 PM -0700, you wrote:
                  >If you want accuracy, the plain chuck with the baqckplate is the
                  >way to go.
                  >Bob May
                  >bobmay@...
                  >http://nav.to/bobmay
                  >http://bobmay.astronomy.net
                  >

                  >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
                  >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
                  >
                  >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
                  >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
                  >
                  >To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
                  >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob May