Re: Stuck Collar ...

  • Dennis Pasek
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      I recently had a similar problem with my A/C 12" Timken headstock.
      Someone had previously disassembled the headstock and reassembled it a
      bit too tight. (I could not turn the spindle at all by grabbing the
      chuck threads in my hand, even with the belts off. Assembly
      instructions indicate that the collar should be tightened only 1/16
      turn beyond zero bearing play.) There were plier marks on the collar,
      so I just used a large pair of channel lock pliers while the spindle
      was locked with the bull gear pin and back gears. It loosened after
      about 1/4 turn to the point where I could spin the collar by hand.
      The new plier jaw marks made no difference to me since there were
      already so many. The threads on my spindle were wet with oil. I
      presume that you do not have any corrosion problems. An alternative
      would be to carefully file a pair of flats on the collar so that a
      large adjustable wrench could be used. Be sure to replace the thread
      protector pellet under the setscrew during reassembly.

      Dennis

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "drifter1951"
      <drifter1951@y...> wrote:
      > Any suggestions on how to get a stuck collar off? This is the collar
      > on the end of the spindle, the first part you must remove to get the
      > spindle out. In the parts book, #9-32. It's an Atlas TV54.
    • drifter1951
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        Thanks for the tip, I used a big pair of Vice-Grips and that did it.
        Everything came apart fine. My Atlas 10F TV54 was made 10/15/41.

        Drifter