5c collet closer

  • Bruce Koch
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10 6:57 PM
      Yo Gang,

      I recently acquired a load of 5c collets, now I am
      puzzling the best way to use them. Ther is abook out
      that has an article one making collett closers, not
      sure if it is what I would need. also have seen a
      collett chuck for 1 1/2 x 8 spindle but ti si for 4c
      collets.

      Sort of in a quandry here,

      anyone out there have any ideas?

      Bruce

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
    • Arthur & Loraine Watters
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10 7:18 PM
        Bruce
        In Home Shop Machinist Jan and Feb 2005 and March and April 2005 is an
        article about Adjustable Collet Chuck for 5C collets.
        Art Watters

        > I recently acquired a load of 5c collets, now I am
        > puzzling the best way to use them. Ther is abook out
        > that has an article one making collett closers, not
        > sure if it is what I would need. also have seen a
        > collett chuck for 1 1/2 x 8 spindle but ti si for 4c
        > collets.
        >
        > Sort of in a quandry here,
        >
        > anyone out there have any ideas?
        >
        > Bruce

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jerdal
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10 7:23 PM

          #1, they don't fit the Atlas directly.

          #2, you can buy a complete closer for 5C to fit your spindle from New
          England Brass, or a kit of castings from Metal Late Aceessories.

          #3, the closers stick out like any chuck, or a bit further. That allows
          quite a bit more wobble, and is not nearly as secure as a closer in teh
          spindle bore.

          #4 A Logan 11" or larger, or a South Bend heavy 10 or larger will take them
          through the spindle.

          JT

          --
          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        • mertbaker
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10 11:41 PM
            One of the next projects on my list is to make a 5C handwheel type draw tube
            closer for my 12x36 Jet. Built a 3C one for the Asian 7x10 which works very
            well; just have to scale it up a little.
            Mert

            MertBaker@...
            > I recently acquired a load of 5c collets, now I am
            > puzzling the best way to use them. Ther is abook out
            > that has an article one making collett closers, not
            > sure if it is what I would need. also have seen a
            > collett chuck for 1 1/2 x 8 spindle but ti si for 4c
            > collets.
            >
            > Sort of in a quandry here,
            >
            > anyone out there have any ideas?
            >
            > Bruce

            > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • bdmail
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12 7:49 PM
              They are also useful for workholding in Collet blocks on the mill table

              Search for "5c collet block" on the web

              Bernie