Re: [atlas_craftsman] which bit for threading

  • jmartin957@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2005
      In a message dated 7/10/2005 7:00:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      david.p.jones@... writes:

      > I have been trying to learn to cut threads and so for the best threads
      > I've cut is with a HSS 1/4" that I ground and not very good, I've
      > tried the carbide E 60 degrees and an indexable with the incert, the
      > threads almost look melted, I thought I done fairly well at first and
      > now that I have bought a QC tool post and some new tool bits I don't
      > do as well, I am also threading aluminum, steel seems a little better,
      > any suggestions??

      The HSS cutter will generally give you the better threads.

      Some steels, and some aluminums, thread miserably. Do they turn well? Are
      you using a cutting fluid? How heavy a cut? Is the cutter sharp? Are the
      clearance angles OK? Lots of factors will influence the results.

      John Martin

    • PIHPGS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2005
        HI

        ALUMINUM HOGS OR BALLS UP. AND TAKES A SPECIAL GRIND TO DO GOOD, PLUS, LUB
        WITH
        TURPENTINE

        MILD OR TOOL STEEL IS THE BEST TO PRACTICE ON. USE A 60 DEGREE SET DEAD
        CENTER
        AND CARRIAGE TOOL POST SET AT 29 DEGREES LEFT FOR PROPER LEED.

        NEED MORE

        EMAIL OFF LINE

        CHUCK

        _PIHPGS@..._ (mailto:PIHPGS@...)