Re: [atlas_craftsman] Motor problems

  • PIHPGS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
      In a message dated 4/29/2005 6:31:59 AM Mountain Standard Time,
      jbeachboard@... writes:H:I

      Hi
      let ne know the model and any info off your motor, we can look up the motor
      in question
      and give you a wireing diagram. the more info, the easier it is. on of
      off line

      chuck pigpgs@...

    • abrahamseven
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, PIHPGS@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/29/2005 6:31:59 AM Mountain Standard Time,
        > jbeachboard@c... writes:H:I
        >

        > Hi
        > let ne know the model and any info off your motor, we can look up
        the motor
        > in question
        > and give you a wireing diagram. the more info, the easier it is.
        on of
        > off line
        >
        > chuck pigpgs@a...
        >

        > Hi Chuck. I have the same problem, I have a 12x36 with a 1/2 hp.
        motor that is
        reversible ,it runs fine,Mine is old with the capacitor mounted on
        the bottom. I have 2
        terminals with 2 contacts each. one for the on-off switch the other
        is for the forward
        reverse switch. the way I see it.There is a huge switch mounted on
        the lathe. this thing is
        about 8" or 9" long has 8 contacts in a wooden cylinder and a large T
        handle to turn it.
        The previous owner had a house light switch hooked up for the on /off
        switch. He had this
        forward /reverse switch disconeccted, Is there an outside chance of
        getting a wiring
        diagram? This may be factory , I don.t know. Any help would certainly
        be appreciated.

        steve
        cottonwood, california
        hog1938@...

      • PIHPGS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2005
          Hi:
          the atlas/craftsman lathes, at one time, came with a standard cw/ccw switch
          on them. this
          realy depends on th lathe in question. most of the switches were on the
          motor power
          connection makeup box.

          I would like to put you at rest. any motor that can be electricaly
          reversed. ie the motor
          that you have, can be placed in a position to run your lathe forward, or in
          reverse.
          the motor, on the wireing diagram or plate, will say something like.

          to reverse the rotation, --reverse ("for example") the red and black wire
          on the internal
          wireing harnes. Most if not all motors that are not reversible, will have a
          discaimer on
          the name plate that will say. Not Reversible.

          Most of the motors that are reversible do have a red and black lead on the
          wireing
          plate. the name plate will tell you the color, and what to do with the
          connections
          in question.

          Without a motor name, brand, and part # and or other information, I cannot
          realy advise you on what you can do.

          I do not charge for this information. so on or off line is ok.

          thanks

          chuck

          _pihpgs@..._ (mailto:pihpgs@...)

        • Buckshot
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2005
            Chuck,

            Craftsman Lathes may have routinely come equipped with a motor and wired,
            but Atlas lathes DID NOT!

            The motor was optional, the reversing switch was optional. They were often
            NOT ordered from the factory to reduce shipping weight and supplied locally.
            At the time I purchased mine I was told that it did not matter but that
            Atlas motors and reversing switches were no longer available (they were
            probably just private branded from the regular manufacturers anyway, not
            produced by Atlas) and if you ordered it in they would usually come through
            noted as "To Be Supplied Locally"!

            My 3996 was bought in this way. They specified the motor frame size so it
            would bolt up (the 3996 is an underdrive cabinet lathe). They offered but
            did NOT specify a particular type of reversing switch.

            Buckshot