12x36 value?

  • abamaguy39
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hi....
      There is a 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman lathe for sale local to me....
      Owner said he bought it new....Has 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate(s), etc,
      etc...Said to be "in good condition"....Have not seen it yet and don't
      know an awful lot about lathes in general....
      Asking price is $1,000 OBO....
      Please advise your thoughts on this....
      I know, condition is everything, but I am taking him at his word that
      it is in "good condition".....I gather that it was a hobby machine
      that he no longer needs/uses.....

      Thanks,
      John
    • darren
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
        I paid $1,000 for mine & would have gone $1,600
        1 chuck
        stand
        motor
        nothing else
        Thank You
        www.12voltguy.com
        SeaBass44/~Darren
        > There is a 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman lathe for sale local to me....
        > Owner said he bought it new....Has 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate(s), etc,
        > etc...Said to be "in good condition"....Have not seen it yet and don't
        > know an awful lot about lathes in general....
        > Asking price is $1,000 OBO....
        > Please advise your thoughts on this....
        > I know, condition is everything, but I am taking him at his word that
        > it is in "good condition".....I gather that it was a hobby machine
        > that he no longer needs/uses.....
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John

        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bruce Koch
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
          I would say that you are pretty much in the ball park.

          By way of reference, I have invested almost $1,800 in
          my 10F. That includes pieces that I picked up after I
          bought it. Steady rest, follower rest, face plates,
          taper attqachment the orginal cast iron legs bench,
          manuals, and other small tooling. I think that is
          still reasonable.

          By way of conttrast, I just bough a 12x36 Crqftsman
          with quick change. It is all dirty and the oil and
          greas are gummed up, but appears to be sound. It came
          with follower rest, steady rest, 3 jaw, and huge 4 jaw
          chuck, many measuring instruments, a huge box of
          large reamers, a large metal desk to set it on, a
          large varity of tooling, to my delight four hard cover
          books on maching projects, projects in metal
          magazines, Home shop machinst magazines, about 5 years
          worth all in mint condition. The topper was that I
          had to take this other thing in the corner. I turned
          out to be a Burke horizontal mill #1 in operating
          condition. Not sure what to do with it, but... :-)

          The whole works for $800.

          Lessons learned: Buy as much in one piece as you can,
          and keep your eyes open. The bargains are out there.

          Bruce

          > > Hi....
          > > There is a 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman lathe for sale
          > local to me....
          > > Owner said he bought it new....Has 3 jaw, 4 jaw,
          > faceplate(s), etc,
          > > etc...Said to be "in good condition"....Have not
          > seen it yet and don't
          > > know an awful lot about lathes in general....
          > > Asking price is $1,000 OBO....
          > > Please advise your thoughts on this....
          > > I know, condition is everything, but I am taking
          > him at his word that
          > > it is in "good condition".....I gather that it was
          > a hobby machine
          > > that he no longer needs/uses.....

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Messenger
        • Jim Ash
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
            Spend some time reading Dave Ficken's article on buying a lathe:

            http://www.mermac.com/advicenew.html

            Also the 'etc,etc' you mention could seriously change the value of the
            package. You should smend the time to really see what's there. Has it got a
            quick-change gearbox, milling attachment, taper attachment, steady rest?
            These can be some pricey options if you have to buy them individually.

            Jim Ash

            At 4/3/2005 10:52 PM +0000, you wrote:

            >Hi....
            >There is a 12x36 Atlas/Craftsman lathe for sale local to me....
            >Owner said he bought it new....Has 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate(s), etc,
            >etc...Said to be "in good condition"....Have not seen it yet and don't
            >know an awful lot about lathes in general....
            >Asking price is $1,000 OBO....
            >Please advise your thoughts on this....
            >I know, condition is everything, but I am taking him at his word that
            >it is in "good condition".....I gather that it was a hobby machine
            >that he no longer needs/uses.....
            >
            >Thanks,
            >John
            >

            >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
            >You do this yourself by sending a message to:
            >
            >Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at
            >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman_projects/
            >
            >To see or edit your personal settings, view the photos, files or links
            >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bob May
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
              Look at the ways and compare the area around the headstock to the finish of
              the tailstock area. If it is different then consider that the ways are
              worn. Check the change gears for broken teeth ans such. After that, check
              the headstock for the type of bearings and if babbit, check the slop in the
              bearings by grabbing the chuck and trying to lift it rapidly. A good set of
              bearings won't tend to move while a worn set will. Finally, run the lathe
              if possible, making sure that the various functions of it work right.
              After those quick checks pass, you probably have a lothe which will be well
              worth the grand that the guy wants.
              Bob May
              bobmay@...
              http://nav.to/bobmay