Tailstock alignment question - eventually fixing headstock Spindle taper also...

  • bdmail
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hello Everyone

      My final destination is to true up the taper inside my spindle.

      After I have checked for any other possible explanations for my problem that
      I know of, it seems to have come down to that.

      I have a finishing taper reamer, and want to "clean it up" the taper,
      correctly and in line with the turning center of the lathe of course.

      *** My point here today is to try to true up the TAILSTOCK since, from
      what I have surmised so far, the best way to do this is to have the
      tailstock true first.

      So here we go:

      Would it be possible to use a cutting tool on the compound rest to cut a 60
      degree INTERIOR cone in an old dead center in the spindle...

      THEN align a dead center in the TAILSTOCK with that interior cutout in the
      old center HEADSTOCK to mechanically check and align the tailstock to the
      actual spindle turning center?

      I then could align the Reamer with the tailstock on one end, and that
      interior cut in the headstock on the other, and somehow support it on the
      compound rest and feed it in s-l-o-w-l-y.

      As it is now, it is useless for me to use Morse collets or any other taper
      accessories due to the runout.

      Thank you for your time and your thoughts

      Bernie
    • jerdal
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005

        > My final destination is to true up the taper inside my spindle.
        >
        > After I have checked for any other possible explanations for my problem
        that
        > I know of, it seems to have come down to that.
        >
        > I have a finishing taper reamer, and want to "clean it up" the taper,
        > correctly and in line with the turning center of the lathe of course.

        I do not think that it would be productive to ream the taper, regardless of
        method. Reamers follow existing irregularlities, no matter how much folks
        wish they would not.

        The only good way is to either single-point bore or ID grind the taper.
        Grinding is better. That is IF the taper is bad. Probably you have posted
        before on this, but I for one have forgotten what the deal was.

        BEFORE YOU MUCK AROUND WITH THE SPINDLE......why do you think it is off?

        Can you show with an indicator that it is bad?

        A dial test indicator has to confirm the runout, if there is any.

        If not, then it may not be off. Might be only burrs on the surface, etc.
        Inference from behaviour of things put in the taper isn't adequate to
        convict in this case. You need to have definite proof that the taper ID
        isn't in line.

        Please explain why you think the taper is off.

        JT

      • bdmail
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
          Thanks JT,

          I couldn't even see how scratched up it was in there until I reamed it out
          and actually saw PARTIAL smooth and shinyness! I have no idea what the last
          guy did, and I still have a little adjusting to do.

          I ended up only hand reaming -very- lightly with the #2 finish reamer, and
          even that alone made a huge difference.

          There was a great thread a little while ago about aligning the tailstock,
          and I am going to refer to that soon as well.

          Thanks Again,

          Bernie