Re: [atlas_craftsman] Collets - 3MT vs 3AT

  • jerdal
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
      > 3MT collets will not self release. YOu have to pat the end of the drawbar
      > to release 'em.

      In most cases, the "patting" of teh end of the drawbar needs to have more in
      common with a bar fight than application of powder to a babys
      rump........"pat" the drawbar indeed.......Pat Murphy, maybe.....

      JT

    • mertbaker
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
        I use a lead hammer to pat with.
        Mert

        MertBaker@...
        > > 3MT collets will not self release. YOu have to pat the end of the
        drawbar
        > > to release 'em.
        >
        > In most cases, the "patting" of teh end of the drawbar needs to have more
        in
        > common with a bar fight than application of powder to a babys
        > rump........"pat" the drawbar indeed.......Pat Murphy, maybe.....
        >
        > JT
        >

        > --
        >
        > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • n5kzw
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2005
          So, if you make a spindle-mounted collet closer, you still need to
          keep a length of thin-walled tubing on hand to slip in the headstock
          end of the spindle to tap the collet loose? Hadn't thought of that.

          Ed

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
          wrote:
          > I use a lead hammer to pat with.
          > Mert
          >
          > MertBaker@v...

        • mertbaker
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2005
            Not neccessarily. I have a 3C closer on my 7x10 that is self releasing when
            I loosen it with the handwheel on the drawtube. This lathe has a 3/4* hole
            thru the spindle, and the drawtube is .615" inside dia. The spindle nose
            has a #3 MT. The closer fitd inside this, and has the collet closing taper
            inside. I use a wooden dowel to knock the closer out when goin back to the
            3 jaw or center. Pic on request, off list. Use the prodigy add.
            Mert

            MertBaker@... This one is on the fritz.
            MertBaker@...
            > So, if you make a spindle-mounted collet closer, you still need to
            > keep a length of thin-walled tubing on hand to slip in the headstock
            > end of the spindle to tap the collet loose? Hadn't thought of that.
            >
            > Ed
            >
            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
            > wrote:
            > > I use a lead hammer to pat with.
            > > Mert
            > >
            > > MertBaker@v...

          • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2005
              I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
              with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
              easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are under
              my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
              under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
              <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:

              > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet chuck
              > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
              bore
              > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There is
              > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like the
              3MT
              > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one of
              > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the spindle
              > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already have
              > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
              > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately. ER-
              32
              > collets are available to just over 3/4".
              >
              > Dennis
              >

              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...> wrote:
              > > #3 morse taper collets are cheaper, more readily available and
              have
              > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.
              > >
              > > IIRC, the spindle on my 12" atlas (101.27440) is 3MT. If I make a
              > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside thread
              > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these would
              be a
              > pretty good alternative.
              > >
              > > The one disadvantage I can see is that you can't pass long pieces
              > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a hollow
              > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that would
              fit
              > inside the closer).
              > >
              > > Has anyone tried this? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
              > >
              > > Steve
            • mtechserv
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2005
                Hi Bob,
                I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my South
                Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.

                Brian

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                <bwright5@n...> wrote:

                > I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
                > with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                > easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                under
                > my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                > under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                > <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                chuck
                > > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
                > bore
                > > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There
                is
                > > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                the
                > 3MT
                > > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                of
                > > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                spindle
                > > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                have
                > > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                > > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                ER-
                > 32
                > > collets are available to just over 3/4".
                > >
                > > Dennis
                > >

                > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                wrote:
                > > > #3 morse taper collets are cheaper, more readily available and
                > have
                > > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.
                > > >
                > > > IIRC, the spindle on my 12" atlas (101.27440) is 3MT. If I
                make a
                > > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                thread
                > > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                would
                > be a
                > > pretty good alternative.
                > > >
                > > > The one disadvantage I can see is that you can't pass long
                pieces
                > > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                hollow
                > > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                would
                > fit
                > > inside the closer).
                > > >
                > > > Has anyone tried this? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
                > > >
                > > > Steve
              • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Great, Please let me know how it works out...Bob
                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mtechserv" <bmince@u...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Bob,
                  > I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                  > Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my
                  South
                  > Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >

                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                  > <bwright5@n...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works
                  great
                  > > with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                  > > easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                  > under
                  > > my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                  > > under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                  > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                  > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                  > > <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                  > chuck
                  > > > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full
                  spindle
                  > > bore
                  > > > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily.
                  There
                  > is
                  > > > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                  > the
                  > > 3MT
                  > > > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                  > of
                  > > > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                  > spindle
                  > > > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                  > have
                  > > > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                  > > > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                  > ER-
                  > > 32
                  > > > collets are available to just over 3/4".
                  > > >
                  > > > Dennis
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                  > > have
                  > > > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.

                  > make a
                  > > > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                  > thread
                  > > > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                  > would
                  > > be a
                  > > > pretty good alternative.

                  > pieces
                  > > > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                  > hollow
                  > > > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                  > would
                  > > fit
                  > > > inside the closer).

                • bdmail
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 3, 2005
                    Pics an info would be great...And helpful...

                    Bernie

                    > Hi Bob,
                    > I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                    > Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my South
                    > Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >

                    > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                    > <bwright5@n...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
                    >> with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                    >> easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                    > under
                    >> my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                    >> under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                    >> --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                    >> <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                    > chuck
                    >>> (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
                    >> bore
                    >>> diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There
                    > is
                    >>> also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                    > the
                    >> 3MT
                    >>> collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                    > of
                    >>> those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                    > spindle
                    >>> nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                    > have
                    >>> the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                    >>> milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                    > ER-
                    >> 32
                    >>> collets are available to just over 3/4".
                    >>>
                    >>> Dennis
                    >>>

                    >>> --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                    >> have
                    >>> a larger capacity that 3AT collets.

                    > make a
                    >>> collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                    > thread
                    >>> instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                    > would
                    >> be a
                    >>> pretty good alternative.

                    > pieces
                    >>> through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                    > hollow
                    >>> closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                    > would
                    >> fit
                    >>> inside the closer).

                    > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bruce Koch
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Hi Gang,

                      It is the wee hours out herr ein the wild west. I am
                      trying to keep the permutation sof collets straight in
                      my mind.

                      I have both a 10F and Craftsman 12" with #morse tapers
                      in the headstock.

                      This summer I plan on buying a Bridgeprot mill which
                      will probably have a spindle that accepts R8.

                      Is it p[ossible to use # 3 morse in the Bridgport with
                      some sort of adapter sleeve or vice versa? It just
                      makes sense to me to have a set of collets that will
                      work in both. I can make my own draw bar for the
                      lathe.

                      Thanks,

                      Bruce old newbie.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • xlch58@swbell.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Not without making a new spindle for it. You could make an R8 adapter
                        for the lathe. Also some old bridgeports used MT#2 collets

                        Charles