Re: [atlas_craftsman] Collets - 3MT vs 3AT

  • mertbaker
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
      3MT collets will not self release. YOu have to pat the end of the drawbar
      to release 'em.
      Mert

      MertBaker@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 6:00 AM
        > 3MT collets will not self release. YOu have to pat the end of the drawbar
        > to release 'em.

        In most cases, the "patting" of teh end of the drawbar needs to have more in
        common with a bar fight than application of powder to a babys
        rump........"pat" the drawbar indeed.......Pat Murphy, maybe.....

        JT

      • mertbaker
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1 6:14 AM
          I use a lead hammer to pat with.
          Mert

          MertBaker@...
          > > 3MT collets will not self release. YOu have to pat the end of the
          drawbar
          > > to release 'em.
          >
          > In most cases, the "patting" of teh end of the drawbar needs to have more
          in
          > common with a bar fight than application of powder to a babys
          > rump........"pat" the drawbar indeed.......Pat Murphy, maybe.....
          >
          > JT
          >

          > --
          >
          > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • n5kzw
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2 5:41 AM
            So, if you make a spindle-mounted collet closer, you still need to
            keep a length of thin-walled tubing on hand to slip in the headstock
            end of the spindle to tap the collet loose? Hadn't thought of that.

            Ed

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
            wrote:
            > I use a lead hammer to pat with.
            > Mert
            >
            > MertBaker@v...

          • mertbaker
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2 6:09 AM
              Not neccessarily. I have a 3C closer on my 7x10 that is self releasing when
              I loosen it with the handwheel on the drawtube. This lathe has a 3/4* hole
              thru the spindle, and the drawtube is .615" inside dia. The spindle nose
              has a #3 MT. The closer fitd inside this, and has the collet closing taper
              inside. I use a wooden dowel to knock the closer out when goin back to the
              3 jaw or center. Pic on request, off list. Use the prodigy add.
              Mert

              MertBaker@... This one is on the fritz.
              MertBaker@...
              > So, if you make a spindle-mounted collet closer, you still need to
              > keep a length of thin-walled tubing on hand to slip in the headstock
              > end of the spindle to tap the collet loose? Hadn't thought of that.
              >
              > Ed
              >
              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...>
              > wrote:
              > > I use a lead hammer to pat with.
              > > Mert
              > >
              > > MertBaker@v...

            • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3 10:29 AM
                I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
                with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are under
                my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:

                > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet chuck
                > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
                bore
                > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There is
                > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like the
                3MT
                > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one of
                > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the spindle
                > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already have
                > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately. ER-
                32
                > collets are available to just over 3/4".
                >
                > Dennis
                >

                > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...> wrote:
                > > #3 morse taper collets are cheaper, more readily available and
                have
                > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.
                > >
                > > IIRC, the spindle on my 12" atlas (101.27440) is 3MT. If I make a
                > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside thread
                > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these would
                be a
                > pretty good alternative.
                > >
                > > The one disadvantage I can see is that you can't pass long pieces
                > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a hollow
                > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that would
                fit
                > inside the closer).
                > >
                > > Has anyone tried this? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
                > >
                > > Steve
              • mtechserv
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3 10:39 AM
                  Hi Bob,
                  I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                  Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my South
                  Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.

                  Brian

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                  <bwright5@n...> wrote:

                  > I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
                  > with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                  > easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                  under
                  > my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                  > under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                  > <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                  chuck
                  > > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
                  > bore
                  > > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There
                  is
                  > > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                  the
                  > 3MT
                  > > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                  of
                  > > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                  spindle
                  > > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                  have
                  > > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                  > > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                  ER-
                  > 32
                  > > collets are available to just over 3/4".
                  > >
                  > > Dennis
                  > >

                  > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > > > #3 morse taper collets are cheaper, more readily available and
                  > have
                  > > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.
                  > > >
                  > > > IIRC, the spindle on my 12" atlas (101.27440) is 3MT. If I
                  make a
                  > > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                  thread
                  > > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                  would
                  > be a
                  > > pretty good alternative.
                  > > >
                  > > > The one disadvantage I can see is that you can't pass long
                  pieces
                  > > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                  hollow
                  > > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                  would
                  > fit
                  > > inside the closer).
                  > > >
                  > > > Has anyone tried this? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve
                • BOB & CINDY WRIGHT
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 3 10:45 AM
                    Great, Please let me know how it works out...Bob
                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mtechserv" <bmince@u...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Bob,
                    > I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                    > Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my
                    South
                    > Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >

                    > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                    > <bwright5@n...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works
                    great
                    > > with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                    > > easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                    > under
                    > > my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                    > > under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                    > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                    > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                    > > <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                    > chuck
                    > > > (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full
                    spindle
                    > > bore
                    > > > diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily.
                    There
                    > is
                    > > > also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                    > the
                    > > 3MT
                    > > > collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                    > of
                    > > > those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                    > spindle
                    > > > nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                    > have
                    > > > the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                    > > > milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                    > ER-
                    > > 32
                    > > > collets are available to just over 3/4".
                    > > >
                    > > > Dennis
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                    > > have
                    > > > a larger capacity that 3AT collets.

                    > make a
                    > > > collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                    > thread
                    > > > instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                    > would
                    > > be a
                    > > > pretty good alternative.

                    > pieces
                    > > > through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                    > hollow
                    > > > closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                    > would
                    > > fit
                    > > > inside the closer).

                  • bdmail
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 3 12:07 PM
                      Pics an info would be great...And helpful...

                      Bernie

                      > Hi Bob,
                      > I was just reviewing those pictures a couple days ago on the South
                      > Bend Group. It's a great idea. I'm planning to make one for my South
                      > Bend 10K, and possibly my Atlas.
                      >
                      > Brian
                      >

                      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "BOB & CINDY WRIGHT"
                      > <bwright5@n...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I made a 1 1/2-8 x ER40 collet chuck for my SB 10K, it works great
                      >> with only hand tightening of the closer nut. The collets release
                      >> easily also. If anyone wants to see step by step pics they are
                      > under
                      >> my aametalmaster profile or join my 10K group. Best of all it was
                      >> under 80 bucks for 14 collets...Bob
                      >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
                      >> --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pasek"
                      >> <dennis.pasek@h...> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> I am going to use a spindle nose 1 1/2 x 8 mount ER-32 collet
                      > chuck
                      >>> (DIY fabrication) on my 12" Atlas 101. That allows full spindle
                      >> bore
                      >>> diameter clearance for your stock and it releases easily. There
                      > is
                      >>> also a 3MT:ER-32 chuck available that would function much like
                      > the
                      >> 3MT
                      >>> collets. (It has been mentioned here recently.) If you get one
                      > of
                      >>> those or an R8 shank chuck, you only have to fabricate the
                      > spindle
                      >>> nose adapter if you want the open bore because you will already
                      > have
                      >>> the closer nut. You can get dual use of your ER collets with a
                      >>> milling machine if you choose a purchased chuck appropriately.
                      > ER-
                      >> 32
                      >>> collets are available to just over 3/4".
                      >>>
                      >>> Dennis
                      >>>

                      >>> --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Steve <skadsm@p...>
                      >> have
                      >>> a larger capacity that 3AT collets.

                      > make a
                      >>> collet closer for the 3MT collets (the collets have an inside
                      > thread
                      >>> instead of outside, so should be easy), it seems that these
                      > would
                      >> be a
                      >>> pretty good alternative.

                      > pieces
                      >>> through them, as the closer threads inside (unless you used a
                      > hollow
                      >>> closer and only did this with very small diameter stock that
                      > would
                      >> fit
                      >>> inside the closer).

                      > Atlas-Craftsman Projects list is at

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bruce Koch
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4 1:40 AM
                        Hi Gang,

                        It is the wee hours out herr ein the wild west. I am
                        trying to keep the permutation sof collets straight in
                        my mind.

                        I have both a 10F and Craftsman 12" with #morse tapers
                        in the headstock.

                        This summer I plan on buying a Bridgeprot mill which
                        will probably have a spindle that accepts R8.

                        Is it p[ossible to use # 3 morse in the Bridgport with
                        some sort of adapter sleeve or vice versa? It just
                        makes sense to me to have a set of collets that will
                        work in both. I can make my own draw bar for the
                        lathe.

                        Thanks,

                        Bruce old newbie.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • xlch58@swbell.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 4 6:00 AM
                          Not without making a new spindle for it. You could make an R8 adapter
                          for the lathe. Also some old bridgeports used MT#2 collets

                          Charles